Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squirrels with the 17hmr & 22wmag. F&S article. Did you read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squirrels with the 17hmr & 22wmag. F&S article. Did you read?

Was reading the story on their website and was wondering what you fellas thought about it.

I have always used a std. velocity 22lr. for head shots.

Comment

I read it, albeit rather quickly.
      I certainly agree with the author that a light and fast rimfire round would be the bee's knees in the squirrel woods for longer shots.

However, I rarely hunt squirrels and when I do my 10/22 proves sufficient.
      Last edited by Red Angus; 10-03-2019, 08:58 PM.

Comment

I checked it out after seeing this. I like Brantley's writing, but not being a squirrel hunter I'm interested in your opinion. What I got out of it was that the long range deal is apparently having an influence. From a meat gathering perspective this makes sense, but I'm going to guess it's pushing the envelope as to the point of chasing squirrels.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          I checked it out after seeing this. I like Brantley's writing, but not being a squirrel hunter I'm interested in your opinion. What I got out of it was that the long range deal is apparently having an influence. From a meat gathering perspective this makes sense, but I'm going to guess it's pushing the envelope as to the point of chasing squirrels.
          People don't hunt squirrels like they used to. Everything is about DEER. It is a good time to be a deer hunter I'll admit it. But its also a good time to be a squirrel hunter as there are chances for limits pretty much every time you go. Personally, I don't care what someone uses. In my experience it's much more about the actual gun, as in, was a first gun, passed down from dad or grandad, gift, you get the idea. Caliber/gauge seems to come in second.
          Some walk, some sit, some call, it's all good.

Comment

I went rifle as a kid, mostly pistol as adult. Now i just shoot the varmint reds. Leave greys and fox alone. After deer season ill proly take the cz out w some CB or CCl quiet and work over some reds. Woods loaded but houses around so all shots from stands downward. Even then, dont need much power. Shoot em behind or in the shoulder. Did that on fox squirrels chewing o. Buds house.....they ran like lung shot deer off the branch and hit thr ground dead.

Comment

Id rather kick up a couple rabbits when snow is on the ground. Leave the tree rats alone

Comment

I've gone the other direction and will use a suppressed Ruger American Rimfire and standard velocity .22lr ammo. And I've got no problems with aiming for body shots.

I have killed squirrels with my .22 Mag Henry lever-action. The meat damage can be substantial.

Comment

The 17 mach2 rips em up. If running the HMR ....maybe shooting them on the ground along picked field/ woods edge. A headshot game.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                    The 17 mach2 rips em up. If running the HMR ....maybe shooting them on the ground along picked field/ woods edge. A headshot game.
                    I've relegated my 17hm2 to pests now, partly because of over performance, though on a few occasions, underperformance, as in I think the tips were too hard and they zipped right through. Lucky for me pests abound. I don't recommend a 17hm2 over a 22 and probably would have sold mine but it's a cz 452 American that is beautiful and fits me like a custom. They say the new 17hm2 loads in the silver cases have solved this so if I run low I'll try 'em and if they are better I'll report it. May be awhile though. Didn't think I've killed many this year but my records indicate we've eaten 50 on the nose this year. Almost 100 dove. Another pic of my baby--- Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1200.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	715497

Comment

Buddy runs a Ruger 77 in Mach2. It has a different report......sounds cool from the other side of the woods

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
                        I read it, albeit rather quickly.
                        I certainly agree with the author that a light and fast rimfire round would be the bee's knees in the squirrel woods for longer shots.

However, I rarely hunt squirrels and when I do my 10/22 proves sufficient.
                        Hi Red, Do you ever watch Dr. Pol on National Geographic Channel ? He treats them all, big and small.

I only use Remington Std. Velocity for squirrels. Used to shoot them with my Browning Challenger pistol when I was in School and shooting on a indoor League Team. I would get my limit too quick with my JC Higgins rifle - 7 shots, 6 squirrels. When I switched to the pistol it was more like 10 shots - 6 squirrels. Always aiming for head shots.
                        Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-04-2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Hi Red, Do you ever watch Dr. Pol on National Geographic Channel ? He treats them all, big and small.
                          Never heard of him and don't watch TV, let alone National geographic.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad