Things to Do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to Do

What is on your list of things to do to get ready for small game ?

Just wait for the calendar pages to turn, and pray that October isn't 70-80 degrees this year. Hunting doesn't feel right without some chill in the air.

Comment

Squirrels have been in since Memorial Day. They are just starting to cut hickories. I'll let them feast on them till I get a cooler morning. Doves could be considered small game. I don't know any of the logistics yet, it was a wet, late planting season this year. Everything is behind schedule. Will probably be a "know the night before" type of year. My shotguns and rimfires stay ready.

Comment

I usually machete some trails through the goldenrod, honeysuckle, multiflora rose, and other crap, too. As I've mentioned before, a good bit of our property is thickets, meadows, and swamp. I was thinking of doing that today so we can get to the blackberry patches easier this weekend. Everything is head-high this year, not great for keeping off the ticks, and not great when you go out on a nice sunny morning and then get soaked from the dew. I usually do a full day of machete work at various sites across the property. Handy for small-game hunting the thickets, and also staying somewhat hidden as you head to a stand during deer season.

Plus the deer start using the trails, too. Not like it's planned out, but it does make for new places to trail-watch come November.

Comment

MattM37: No way to bush hog or run a finish blade instead of hand whacking? Sounds like a job for a crew

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
            I usually machete some trails through the goldenrod, honeysuckle, multiflora rose, and other crap, too. As I've mentioned before, a good bit of our property is thickets, meadows, and swamp. I was thinking of doing that today so we can get to the blackberry patches easier this weekend. Everything is head-high this year, not great for keeping off the ticks, and not great when you go out on a nice sunny morning and then get soaked from the dew. I usually do a full day of machete work at various sites across the property. Handy for small-game hunting the thickets, and also staying somewhat hidden as you head to a stand during deer season.

Plus the deer start using the trails, too. Not like it's planned out, but it does make for new places to trail-watch come November.
            Are the rabbits o.k. to eat ? When I was a kid we stopped hunting them because of the green liver.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
              Squirrels have been in since Memorial Day. They are just starting to cut hickories. I'll let them feast on them till I get a cooler morning. Doves could be considered small game. I don't know any of the logistics yet, it was a wet, late planting season this year. Everything is behind schedule. Will probably be a "know the night before" type of year. My shotguns and rimfires stay ready.
              We always wound up catching the County Clerk for a license the night before then staying up to sew our back tags on our parka. cir. 1958. When they invented plastic then the back tag holders became available.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Are the rabbits o.k. to eat ? When I was a kid we stopped hunting them because of the green liver.
                Never seen green livers. Everything inside has always looked healthy and the meat tastes good. One season in the '90s, I did get one with kind of a mottled look to its liver, and I'd read some stuff about tularemia. I took the rabbit to the DEC offices in Cortland, NY, and they said it was all fine, and just reminded me to always cook thoroughly.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                  MattM37: No way to bush hog or run a finish blade instead of hand whacking? Sounds like a job for a crew
                  One of my cousins does get the brush hog up there, too, and we use that for the long trails up and down the gas-line right-of-way and up and down the powerline (the gas-line and powerline make an X right across our property). The trails I cut are more just short avenues through the thickets in the actual woods and the really swampy areas. And I'm only talking shoulder-width footpaths. So far, I'm still enjoying the chore every year, it's good upper-body exercise.

Last edited by MattM37; 08-16-2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I need to run my dogs some to get them stretched out a bit. They keep relatively fit but it's tough to get them out as much as I should between the kid's schedule and the heat.

Not sure how much I'll get out of my older Britt this year, she still has the drive but I think that may work against her as she'll pay the price if I let her over do it. On vacation this summer I brushed out the dogs on the tailgate of my truck, when the old girl went to jump off she face planted in the dirt. I think it hurt me worse than her but there's no doubt she's past her prime, she'll be 12 in March.

Comment

I need range time to verify the scopes are still sighted in for the rimfires.
                      > Winchester 74 semi-auto in .22lr
                      > Ruger American Rimfire bolt-action in .22lr (suppressed)
                      > Henry lever-action in .22 mag

Will renew the annual hunting license online, September 1.

Also on September 1st, I'll download the maps/permits for the three WMA's I plan to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                        I need to run my dogs some to get them stretched out a bit. They keep relatively fit but it's tough to get them out as much as I should between the kid's schedule and the heat.

Not sure how much I'll get out of my older Britt this year, she still has the drive but I think that may work against her as she'll pay the price if I let her over do it. On vacation this summer I brushed out the dogs on the tailgate of my truck, when the old girl went to jump off she face planted in the dirt. I think it hurt me worse than her but there's no doubt she's past her prime, she'll be 12 in March.
                        I was watching Dr. Pol on TV and a dog cam in that normally is jumping all over the place and all he wanted to do is lay down. Nothing found by the Dr. Finally after more questions and the room mate chiming in, it was determined the dog got into the stash and ate the whole thing. Dr. laughed and said take him home and let him sleep it off.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                          I usually machete some trails through the goldenrod, honeysuckle, multiflora rose, Bluestacks Lucky Patcher Kodi and other crap, too. As I've mentioned before, a good bit of our property is thickets, meadows, and swamp. I was thinking of doing that today so we can get to the blackberry patches easier this weekend. Everything is head-high this year, not great for keeping off the ticks, and not great when you go out on a nice sunny morning and then get soaked from the dew. I usually do a full day of machete work at various sites across the property. Handy for small-game hunting the thickets, and also staying somewhat hidden as you head to a stand during deer season.

They are just starting to cut hickories. I'll let them feast on them till I get a cooler morning. Doves could be considered small game.
                          Last edited by DENIMKATY; 08-25-2019, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wanna be a NYC cop?
                            by FirstBubba
                            My eldest started life as a jailer.
                            Natural progression was CLEET, city cop, county deputy, state police.
                            "I'm tired of getting beat...
                            Today, 06:00 PM
                          • Wanna be a NYC cop?
                            by FirstBubba
                            How do large metro areas ever recruit new LEO's?

https://www.redstate.com/alexparker/...-career-crimin...
                            Today, 04:02 PM
                          • Reply to Racism ??
                            by jhjimbo
                            99, I think I saw something about a contest in an e-mail. Always creates a lot of interest....
                            Today, 05:57 PM
                          • Racism ??
                            by jhjimbo
                            Every other word on TV is racism. My take on racism is everybody is, to one degree or another, a racist. My empirical evidence is every where you look....
                            09-14-2019, 06:02 PM
                          • Reply to Racism ??
                            by jhjimbo
                            Reparation's for slaves but then a deduction for room and board they received. Also, reparation's to the ancestors of Union soldiers who fought for the...
                            Today, 05:50 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X