Happy Groundhog's Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Groundhog's Day

While they aint out and about, today is a religious holiday for some of us old farts.
    I did actually shoot one in January years ago........poor guy lost on the snow.
    22 mag Ruger got him.

Anyway.........blast from the past, late 70's

Click image for larger version

Name:	1978.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	702784

Phil the groundhog came out this morning and he did not see his shadow, signifying that we will have an early spring this year.
    But bear in mind that the groundhog has been right only 39% of the time, so the smart money is betting that we will have another six weeks of cold weather.
    And remember what the Eskimos tell their children: Don't eat yellow snow!

Comment

When I got my Winchester Model 67 single shot 22 ( My Dad paid $1.00 a week until he got it paid for, it was $11.95) for my 13th Christmas as soon as spring broke every evening I was on the prowl for goundhogs. I was fortunate to live where I could go as far as I wanted in excellent groundhog country. When I could save enough for a box of Remington Golden bullet hollow points I was in business. I would say a conservative estimate on the number of groundhogs I killed from 13 years old to 17 years old was probably close to 500.

Comment

CD2; Nice pic! What rifle was that?

Comment

ID:	702784[/QUOTE]

Great pic! I've caught them by hand and in traps but have never killed 'em.

Comment

Killed many a chuck growing up in Michigan. Stalking them close with pistols was the best. Love the JONES style hat. Were all I wore hunting growing up. They were the best, why did they ever go out of style? I ate a few, in a pulled pork barbecue type of way, on a bun. Not bad at all. Um, the chucks, not the hat.
            Last edited by dewman; 02-02-2019, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
              Phil the groundhog came out this morning and he did not see his shadow, signifying that we will have an early spring this year.
              But bear in mind that the groundhog has been right only 39% of the time, so the smart money is betting that we will have another six weeks of cold weather.
              And remember what the Eskimos tell their children: Don't eat yellow snow!
              I think the remaining winter will see a roller coaster or temps and precipitation - more violent swings than in previous decades.

Comment

CD2, good thing you didn't just wound him; he might have come for you. In ratio, for a kid, a chuck that size would probably qualify as dangerous game.
                Last edited by MattM37; 02-04-2019, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                  While they aint out and about, today is a religious holiday for some of us old farts.
                  I did actually shoot one in January years ago........poor guy lost on the snow.
                  22 mag Ruger got him.

ID:	702784
                  I got one groundhog pic from this year but you probably don't want to see how he met his maker.

Comment

Rifle is a 660 Rem in .222
                    Scope a 3-9X Weaver AO
                    55gr Hornady SP I loaded. Forget what powder.
                    I switched to a Ruger #1 in .243 in 8th grade
                    Just to be honest about the "scale" in that pic.......I was pretty tiny, hit 5 ft tall in 9th grade.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• New petition to sell Montana to Canada
                      99explorer
                      There is a movement afoot to sell the state of Montana to Canada for $1 trillion to pay off part of our national debt.
                      It would become South Alberta....
                      Yesterday, 12:27 AM
                    • Reply to New petition to sell Montana to Canada
                      fitch270
                      Wouldn't South Alberta be its own province?

There's been a "movement" to separate upstate NY from the NYC area for years. Fat chance...
                      Today, 12:09 AM
                    • Illegals buying guns
                      labrador12
                      If 8 million illegals are trying to buy guns a year, what is the size of the illegal population? Is 10% of the illegal population armed? 50%? Are there...
                      Yesterday, 10:56 AM
                    • Reply to Illegals buying guns
                      Harmonious Fulmination
                      In peak seasons Ellis Island processed over 5000 dirt poor migrants a day. And with those inadequate traditional families they made America and Americans...
                      Today, 12:02 AM
                    • Reply to Illegals buying guns
                      fitch270
                      The logistics of the situation is the issue. Better safe than sorry. Trying to figure out who is who and has relatives where takes time and resources....
                      Yesterday, 11:58 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X