Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's with putting a scope on a shotgun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's with putting a scope on a shotgun?

What's with putting a scope on a shotgun?

Some people use them for turkey hunting. But the most common reason for mounting a scope on a shot gun is for deer. In Ohio and some other states we cannot use rifles, so we turn shotguns into slug guns. With todays technology a good rifled barrel and some good sabots you cant take some relatively long shots with a shot gun making a scope bennificial.

Comment

with a good gun and good slugs you can shoot 150yds, so you will need a scope. also turkey hunters use red dots.

Comment

Buckeye and Kolbster hit the nail on the head with why people use scopes and I agree wholeheartedly. I guess to take the discussion on step further I'll tell you what I think. Scopes are good for long shots no doubt but most shots in Ohio for deer will be 75 yds or less and in the woods. While looking through a scope you only see what the scope allows you to see. If there is a small branch that may deflect your bullet it may be focused out or blurred making an obstructed view look clear. I would think that a shotgun without a scope in Ohio would be more versital. As for turkey, I can't see how a red dot is any easier to line up than an open site or really what good it would do. Just my 2 cents and I don't expect all to agree.

Comment

Great for turkey hunting.

Comment

Great alternative sight for deer and turkey hunting. There are also holographic sights which help folks develop into better wing and target shooters.

Comment

buckhunter,
              I agree with you on most of what you said. I do not have a scope on the gun I use for turkey hunting and i do use a slug gun with open sights while on a drive. But when I am stand hunting I an usualy on the edge of some corn fields and regularly have shot much further than 75 yards so I do have a scope on that gun. If I only had one guns to use though I agree it would not have a scope on it.

Comment

I use my low power scope to allow for more precise aiming at short range, at even 45 yards my front sight covers up too much of the front shoulder for my taste.

Comment

for deer slugs or sometimes people put red dot sites on shotguns

Comment

In some states you have to hunt with a shotgun. Using a scope just makes the slugs more accurate.

Comment

I agree i know why though sometimes it's just for the shakie hunter or its just something that looks like a scope but its one of those laser sights

Comment

accuracey

Comment

Accuracy my friend!

Comment

Accuracy my friend!

Comment

Accuracy my friend!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad