Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think is better for coyote hunting 17 HMR or a 30/06?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grant77
    replied
    30-06, but try a caliber with more accuracy and range.

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Definitely the 30-06!!!

Leave a comment:

• mcdlacrosse9
    replied
    If you only have those two rifles, go for the .30-06. There's no such thing as too dead. But if you're in the market for a new gun, .223 is your best bet.

Leave a comment:

• libertyfirst
    replied
    My brother in law has had very bad results with the 17hmr on coyote and he is an excellent shot and a very good hunter. He tells me that short range chest center shots are chancy at even 35 yards. I have had very little experience with this round. To answer your question, 30-06.

Leave a comment:

• RackAttack68
    replied
    id go with the odd 6 but i shoot a .243 and kill coyotes, and last year i shot my first buck with the same .243 i shoot an 80 grain soft tip winchester

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    If you don't care about pelt damage, use the '06. It's a bit overkill, but. I personally think the .17 is too light though i know many disagree with me(used to that). Great excuse to buy another rifle. For longer ranges the 22-250 or .243 are perfect for coyotes, as is a 25-06

Leave a comment:

• buck hunter 17
    replied
    same as texasfirst

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    The .17 HMR is a too light to consistently drop a coyote with one shot. The .30-'06 is a versatile and decisive coyote cartridge with 110 and 125-grain bullets (or with whatever bullet your rifle groups accurately). No question, the .30-'06 is more than adequate and has all the accuracy potential in a good rifle that you'd require, but surely you can find some middle ground in a cartridge that is better suited to coyotes. We're discussing a creature that weighs 25-40 lbs., depending on its location and environment. The .223, .22-250 and .243 Win, which have already been recommended, would be much better choices.

Leave a comment:

• Bigbuck14
    replied
    30/06

Leave a comment:

• kvlazer22
    replied
    The 17 HMR is a little small in terms of bullet weight.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    The first coyote I ever shot was with a 150 gr. '06 and there was not much left. I prefer .17 Rem or .22-.250.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    Neither, one is too small the other is too big. Of coures I would err on the too big myself. Better would be 223,243, or 25-06

Leave a comment:

• bomberpride
    replied
    30-06

Leave a comment:

• herbie57_57
    replied
    If you use the 20 gr .17 hmr rounds they work ok on coyotes around 100 yds. If you don't want the pelts an 06 is ok but I've shot some and found blood but never the coyote because it blew through it.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    I cut my teeth varmint hunting shooting 30-06 with Hornady 130 grain soft point with 54 grains of IMR4064. This load also doubles as a darn good deer load too!

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad