Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BLACK SQUIRRELS!! I live in Central PA and am basically in the outdoors fishing or hunting every day. I have never seen a blac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLACK SQUIRRELS!! I live in Central PA and am basically in the outdoors fishing or hunting every day. I have never seen a blac

BLACK SQUIRRELS!! I live in Central PA and am basically in the outdoors fishing or hunting every day. I have never seen a black squirrel in the woods until this year. I have seen 2- in two locations 30 miles apart. I was wondering where the blood lines are coming from and if anyone in central PA has been experiencing sightings as well?

It's the Feds! The Washington National Zoo to be precise.

There's no doubt in my mind there are regional variations. The gray squirrels in Virginia definitely seem smaller than some other places, not sure why that would be.

A link for your Blackies below. Note that at one time squirrels were so over-hunted there was a concern for them. I would have to think that was a little misplaced, but maybe regionally it could have been so in those days.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/18/AR2005051802251.html

Comment

maybe you should send that guy in the article a pelt or a tail. I'd send him a letter at least, they seem interested in where they are going.

Comment

We see them fairly often in Tioga county, have forever. It's the white ones that are rare, I've only seen one of them.

Comment

I understand they are a strain of gray squirrels. Years ago they were rare around here. Always thought they looked unique and cool. Now it depends on the location. My old yard had a mix of gray, black, fox, and dreaded red squirrels. Further north, I see only fox and red. In our northern woods I see mostly black and fox. Except for the red they all seem to taste the same - just more meat on the fox.

Comment

I have seen black squirrels in the Cooks Forest area in PA. I went to college at Kent State University and they are everywhere up there. The founder of the college had them brought in and they are not native to the area, or so I was told. If you go outside of that area you will not see them anywhere.

Comment

I'm in northern Minnesota, and we've got gray squirrels here. The black squirrels that we see here are just grays with melanism. From what I've been told by the biologists I work with (I'm a forester), melanism is a genetic fluke (most likely a highly recessive trait.) Melanism would be "the opposite" of albinism.

Comment

never got the chance my sister saw some in ny and my dad said he saw two chasing eachother here in ct

Comment

they are just a gray squirrel with Melanesia . the flip side of albino

Comment

The black ones are just melanistic grays as Mitch pointed out. There are a lot of them in Central Park.

The ones in OH were smuggled from Ontario by Kent State students, they dominated the campus and town population there by out competing and breeding with the local grays, and have spread out since.

Comment

Jersey has a large population of black gray squirrels.

Comment

I saw a few last year, but none this year. Maybe I'll get lucky when I'm grouse hunting and shoot one.

Comment

Thanks, All! Learned a great deal from this post!

Comment

I live in Enola and their is a pack of black squirrels thata live on valley road and North Enola Drive. They are so cool to watch. When it snows is white and they are out is is cool. I have seen several out at one time. So this must be a family. So the articles that I have been reading saying 1 in 10,000. I guess they didnt' factor Enola Pa.

Comment

I live in the Germantown area of PA and when I drive in to work around Fairmount Park I always see black squirrels. In the city I have not nor in my neighborhood. It has only been in that one area. I would like to see one up close.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to He The Man
                                by PigHunter
                                Richard, who did you think has been supplying AK's and other weapons to Syria and Iraq for over half a century??? This is nothing new.

Our...
                                Yesterday, 11:25 PM
                              • He The Man
                                by jhjimbo
                                How do you feel about President Trumps unilateral decision making ?

It has gotten to the point he can not trust anybody in the Agencies and...
                                10-08-2019, 08:05 AM
                              • Reply to Son of a Fitch
                                by Amflyer
                                Hey! Nice buck, SOAF! Good patience too....
                                Yesterday, 10:48 PM
                              • Reply to He The Man
                                by 99explorer
                                During World War II, the Defense Department was officially named the War Department.
                                Yesterday, 10:09 PM
                              • Reply to Deer hunting with the .357 Magnum
                                by 99explorer
                                Skeeter Skelton used to say that the .357 Magnum's performance at 100 yards was about the same as the .38 Special.
                                Yesterday, 10:06 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X