Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am hoping to go rabbit hunting with my .22 in the near future. One problem... I have no idea how to go about it. Tips? (Ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am hoping to go rabbit hunting with my .22 in the near future. One problem... I have no idea how to go about it. Tips? (Ammo

I am hoping to go rabbit hunting with my .22 in the near future. One problem... I have no idea how to go about it. Tips? (Ammo, spots, time of day)

As for ammo, go with what your gun shoots best. Look for bunnies on south facing slopes mid morning sitting in their forms trying to catch the sun and warm up. If you have snow on the ground all the better.

Comment

.22 are tough if your just out stomping around. If you have dogs they work pretty good. Depends on what your trying to accomplish, if you want meat for dinner or if you are looking for a challenge, a .22 will give you the challenge. They do make some quick scopes for them, might want to look into that.

Comment

I second that one. I've never been out hunting for rabbits without dogs. I've been out hunting and shot rabbits before but it wasn't what I was hunting for. It will be challenging to say the least. I would take a trip to the pound and pick up a few beagles and try it out if you are in a position where you can own dogs.

Comment

If I hunt rabbits it is usually in the dead of winter because its just great. I have never gone without beagles and hardly ever see rabbits hunting elsewhere. When hunting however, I always end up in briers. So wear thick carhart pants. I take my 20ga. but I am assuming that you are trying to go squirrel hunting but for rabbits which will diffently be a challenge. So tell us how it goes.

Comment

take a 20 ga.

Comment

When I use a 22 for rabbits I hunt totally different than with a shotgun. I try to catch them sitting so I move extremely slow. The grass or brush is going to be similar in color to their bodies, so look for a beady black eye. It tips them off every time.

Comment

If your on a fourwheeler or UTV drive by tree lines or fence rows. Dogs are also a good way to flush them out of brush. Like Golfing Sportsmen said, look for them trying to warm up in the sun.

Comment

there are many ways to go about this issue ... i hunt rabbit with my bow ... because i only hunt with a bow ... but i own a marlin semi automatic with a burris scope ... if you want to catch them sitting this provides the chance for a second shot if the first misses ... i would go out in the middle of the day ... keep ur eyes under trees ... this is were i get most of mine ... good luck and good hunting

Comment

As GS said hunt them early on the sunny side of hills or cover. You can often bed (head shoot them while they are sitting in cover) the rabbits if you stalk carefully. Look for the rabbits coal black eye as you move through cover slowly. Late afternoon still hunting along farm roads or along the edges of cover especially arounds winter grain fields can be productive. Hard to beat CCI mini mags for this work. I like the solid point over the hollow point.

Comment

Use a .22 rifle in the evening, walking in the brush. Do it leisurely and bring back a couple of rabbits. Clean and eat promptly, and you've accomplished something timeless and infinitely enjoyable.

Comment

I tie alot of flies with hares ear and masks. I've hunted rabbit for many years in E.Tenn. I go out at dawn and walk through hay fields near my house-no dogs, and kick up my heels to roust them out into the open. I use a 410 sometimes or even my 17hmr.

Comment

I tie alot of flies with hares ear and masks. I've hunted rabbit for many years in E.Tenn. I go out at dawn and walk through hay fields near my house-no dogs, and kick up my heels to roust them out into the open. I use a 410 sometimes or even my 17hmr.

Comment

Thanks everyone i have limited resources so i will have to stick with a twenty-two. It wont be much problem. I like the challenge. What do you think
                            about just sitting next to a garden. Plus my dog wouldnt be patient enough for hunting, she is kinda gun sy, and would be two miles away before i even saw a rabbit and i dont think mom would like me bringigng home a pack of beagles! I will try those tips and report back. Thanks!

Comment

you want some dogs for that its the best way to go and bait a spot for a month and they will keep coming back for more

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad