Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hi Im new to hunting brush, cottontail, and jackrabbit. I will be hunting with a 20 gauge shotgun. Are there any good hunting ta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi Im new to hunting brush, cottontail, and jackrabbit. I will be hunting with a 20 gauge shotgun. Are there any good hunting ta

hi Im new to hunting brush, cottontail, and jackrabbit. I will be hunting with a 20 gauge shotgun. Are there any good hunting tactics? Do I need much camo? Where and when should I hunt? Thank You for all the help.

You dont need much when i rabbit hunt i just walk around till i see one and then shoot

Comment

Camo is not needed, more important is a good pair of brush pants and a pack of short-legged beagles. Step on brush piles and briar thickets and be ready to shoot quickly. When hunting with dogs, the rabbit will almost always run a circle back to where you jumped him, stay near where he jumped! If you don't have any dogs, step on or kick any available cover or if it's so thick you can't do either, throw some rocks in there. They will let you walk right by them and stay put unless they sense real danger. 20 gauge is a good choice since they are smaller and easier to carry all day than a 12 and is more than enough to kill a rabbit, I like shot size #6, high and low brass both work.

Comment

No camo. 20 6 or 5 1/2 shot is good. Be watchful. they like to move in circles and back behind you. if you see movement check it out. Binoculars are a must.

Comment

o yea and as for when, doesn't really matter but when there is deep snow i have not had very good luck, seems like the rabbits stay burrowed under the snow and brush piles and are very hard to jump...

Comment

You do not need much to hunt rabbit. Most of the time I walk around until I find a rabbit or a brush pile. I kick the brush pile and hope the rabbit comes running out.

Comment

Good pair of brush pants, kick and stomp the brush and briars. Improved cylinder choke and #5 shot. A good beagle makes it a lot more fun!

Comment

I would go down to your local Army Surplus and buy a set of BDU’s and field jacket. Not because they are camouflaged but the thickness of the material and the pockets you can hold a bunch of ammo!

Hunting Jackrabbits?

GO CENTERFIRE!!!

Comment

If your hunting rabbits with or without a beagle you don't need binoculars just watch for movement and after you kick one up find a spot in the same general area where you can see well in all areas

Comment

You don't need alot of camo. But I wouldn't use a 20 gauge because there will be a lot of b.b.s in the meat.

Comment

I like to hunt bunnies after a snowfall, makes finding them easier, just look for thick areas with lots of tracks brown pellets and yellow snow.

Comment

Rabbits never leave far from their nests, so if you see one, it wont go far. Camo is less important, because they will hear you and see you no matter what.

Comment

Not much needed to hunt rabbits. I use to just grab the single shot and start stomping around. If state requires, wear hunter orange or whatever is required. 20ga is fine, just wait for them to get out there a little so you don't blow the heck out of them.

Don't think you need a dog, although they are handy, but if your young...just get out there and work the fence rows and brush piles. Especially around crop fields.

Comment

You don't need any camo. A good beagle is probably best but all you really need to do is go wading into a fencerow or a brushpile. If you kick one up or just miss remember in a while that rabbit will circle around and come back to that same spot. Also if you don't get all tore up by thorns you aint rabbit hunting.

Comment

You need good camo if you don't have Beagles. They will pick you up a country mile away walking through the brush. Some tactics are driving them out of their holes, dogs, and just walking around till you find them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad