No announcement yet.

Squirrel Hunting Strategies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitting and waiting is the most surefire method. If it's not a terribly windy day, or pouring down rain, they'll likely be out at some point. I saw a couple during a fairly heavy snowfall when I was deer-hunting this past week.

Early in the season (September around here), I like combine sitting with using a distress whistler. They're a lot of fun. You blow the whistle and shake a leafy sapling, sounding like a young squirrel getting terrorized by a predator. For some reason, this can get the adults to come on the run through the trees, or at least to come out and start barking.

Comment

I used to kill more squirrels while walking around, but I've found It's easier on two bad knees to sit on a beach ridge, or along the edge of a corn field these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel Hunter View Post
        What do you guys think is the most successful way to hunt squirrels?
        1. Sit down and wait without making a sound.
        2. Sit down and use a squirrel call.
        3. Quietly stalk them.
        4. Walk around like normal until you find them.
        5. Another way that you do it personally that isn't listed
        Let me know what you guys think!
        I sit and catch them going between corn field and hardwoods. I have shot only 1 squirrel in my life with a shot gun, 1,000 with a .22lr rifle of handgun.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          Unfortunately, it seems more squirrels appear when I'm hunting other game. Perhaps it's the sitting still for long periods.

My favorite method is to quietly stalk them. The most productive was when hunting as a kid using our best squirrel dog.
          All I see in deer season. When I hunt them I walk about 50- 75 yards and sit for about 20 minutes walk and sit, walk and sit.

Comment

I purchased a new squirrel rifle on New Year's Day. It's a Ruger American Rimfire in .22lr with threaded barrel. The plan is to use a suppressor and subsonic loads. Tested it side-by-side with my .22 pellet rifle and they produce about the same sound when fired.

Comment

I purchased a new squirrel rifle on New Year's Day. It's a Ruger American Rimfire in .22lr with threaded barrel. The plan is to use a suppressor and subsonic loads. Tested it side-by-side with my .22 pellet rifle and they produce about the same sound when fired.
              That is sweet. I need a setup like that, I blasted a oppussum a few months back that attacked the wifes dog on my porch. It was about 1:00 am and in the quick situation I grabbed my pistol, 44 mag ruger alaskan and woke up the only two neighbors I have.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post

That is sweet. I need a setup like that, I blasted a oppussum a few months back that attacked the wifes dog on my porch. It was about 1:00 am and in the quick situation I grabbed my pistol, 44 mag ruger alaskan and woke up the only two neighbors I have.
                Yep, sometimes you really don't want the neighbors to know you shot something at night ;-)

Comment

Yep, sometimes you really don't want the neighbors to know you shot something at night ;-)
                  Not that they care but the closer one is in his 80's and I feel bad waking him up. Plus that darn thing could cause a sleeping person to have a heart attack

Comment

I was more fortunate than the kids today my Dad and I did everything together, work, hunt, fish, church. When I was 10 I started going with my Dad squirrel hunting, he would rather squirrel hunt than eat, and I would carry the squirrels. About the time I turned 12 one morning we had a squirrel up in a tree and he asked me if I wanted to shoot it, of course I did. Times were hard and we had only one gun the Iver Johnson Champion 12 ga. Till I was about 13 we took turns shooting squirrels, then Dad found another used Iver Johnson for $10 and gave me the one we had. Dad and his brother had payed $6 for it and 2 boxes of shells when my Dad was 12 years old, He would have turned 100 this year he passed away when he was 92. Obeying game laws were a priority with my Dad and I had many lectures why we should obey game laws( maybe that is why I became a Natural Resources Police Officer.) The yearly limit here in West Virginia was 36 squirrels for each person. We had a Raymonds calendar hanging on the kitchen wall and every Sat after we came back from hunting Dad logged how many squirrels each one of us killed. When we reached the 36 squirrel limit for each one of us we were done till next year. One of my Dads favorite ways to hunt when we were hunting together was when we got a squirrel in a tree and he was hiding on the back side the other walked around the tree and the squirrel would slide around the other side of the tree and then we could shoot it. We still hunted some but we had big shellbark hickorys and we could set under them and kill squirrels rather easily.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad