Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to start trapping for fox, bobcat, raccoon etc. What are some good traps to buy and some good techniques to use. Also i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to start trapping for fox, bobcat, raccoon etc. What are some good traps to buy and some good techniques to use. Also i

I want to start trapping for fox, bobcat, raccoon etc. What are some good traps to buy and some good techniques to use. Also is there any demand for pelts anymore?

I like using #2 longsprings and #2 double coil springs you can usually get a good price on ebay. I also use livetraps a lot and you can put a pheasant or duck carcass hanging in the back and catch bobcats along with coons. If you can find a buyer the market varies from year to year but coons have been running from $8-12 and fox are usually around $15-20 and cats are anywhere from $50-200 depending on marking, size etc. all of these are in Kansas and Nebraksa with the same buyer.

Comment

thanks....thats puts things into perspective for me....how much do those #2 traps cost

Comment

I paid $6 a piece for some new so I wouldn't pay any more than that but usually you can get 6 for around $30 on ebay.

Comment

Thanks....i will check into that.....appreciate your help....have you trapped lately

Comment

Yeah I haven't had any set in a couple weeks but its been warmer here so I haven't been real worried about it.

Comment

well thanks for the info....hope you have a good one. i think i might get started soon

Comment

Hmmmm

Comment

Contact your local outfitters because fly tiers like me love to get our hands on good tying materials, aka pelts.

Comment

i trap nearly 275 coon a year just on snares. i used to use legtraps but they were expensive. simply just make the loop for raccoons about the size of ur open hand and about 3 inches off the ground on a well worn trail. trapping trails means no mess and bait to buy. stake it to the ground or if there isnt a tree near by close the loop and wrap it around a tree then bring it back through the stake loop and pull it tight around the tree. try to check them every day from a distance. ---- but this tactic is only for coons, grinners, and ground hogs. for coyotes and fox put the bottom of the loop 7 or 8 inches off the ground and abouut a 13-14 inch diameter hole. put this on a tire track trail (in the tire track) or on a hole in a fence. - go to "the Snare Shop" for cheap supplies and get the washer locks they are cheap and effective. all in all u can make 100 snares for only about 35 to 50 cents apiece. CHEAP and EFFECTIVE- i sell my raccoon pelts on the carcass and i get 8-10 dollars average. its not to good but not to bad. could be better

Comment

Used #2 longsprings and #2 double coil springs!

Comment

Used #2 longsprings and #2 double coil springs!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad