Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for a .22 on a small budget. What is the best bang for the buck? The rifle will be used to shoot small farm vermin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for a .22 on a small budget. What is the best bang for the buck? The rifle will be used to shoot small farm vermin

I'm looking for a .22 on a small budget. What is the best bang for the buck? The rifle will be used to shoot small farm vermin.

I just saw a Cricket at Wal-Mart yesterday for $107. It's bolt-action single shot but will get the job done if you really want to save dollars. Otherwise, I've always been happy with my Ruger 10/22.

Comment

New gun, go for the Ruger 10/22. If you want the most bang for your buck visit the used gun rack at you "local" gun store or wait till the fall for the gun shows to start again.

Comment

It is hard to argue with the ruger 10/22. Like Scott in Ohio said, you should not have any trouble finding a used one at a Cabela's or Gander Mountain.

Comment

I agree with the guys above, the Ruger 10/22 is pretty hard to beat. I have a rifle made by Marlin M-60, I think, and this little rifle will out shoot my 10/22, but I've never cared for the feed system. I love the magazine on the 10/22.

Comment

cheap and dead accurate would be the Marlin Model 60. i own one and i shoot targets one and a half inches in diameter from 50 yards with it and it hits. it's accurate. i love mine. you can pay as cheap as 125 bucks for one.

Comment

I have to add my endorsement of the Ruger 10/22 to those of other gentlemen because it's a very good value for the price. There are a great many aftermarket products and accessories for the 10/22, so it's unlikely you'll become bored with it. If you prefer a bolt action, I'd recommend a used Remington 510 or 580, often available for easily affordable prices. A lever action, such as a Marlin 39A/39AS or a Ruger 96/22, is a good choice but the resale prices on these rifles will normally fall outside a small budget.

Comment

With Savage, you get very accurate rifles for not much. That's where the best bang for your buck is. If you want a .22 as accurate, you have to pay a lot more. If you really are on a tight budget, get an H&R for $150 or less.

Comment

marlins wont let you down

Comment

Ruger 10/22, hard to beat for a knock around varmint exterminator....

Comment

If you're in Penna., it's worth noting that the 10/22 isn't a legal hunting rifle. If it's vermin on your own farm, I'm not sure how much you'd care, but it's just out there for consideration.

Comment

I'll throw another one in there for the Ruger 10/22, Savage also makes a fine .22, for the bit less.

Comment

RUGER 10/22. You can get one in a pawn shop for $100.00 + and if "shot out you can "gunsmith" it yourself.

Comment

I have to agree with the Ruger 10/22. Plus if you ever wanted to upgrade down the road they make conversion systems to make it into a Mach22. The 10/22 is very customizable.

Comment

Thanks for the help, it sounds like the Ruger 10/22 may be the way to go!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How Do I Know ???
                                by jhjimbo
                                You are smoking some bad weed.
                                Today, 03:42 AM
                              • How Do I Know ???
                                by jhjimbo
                                How do I decide who to vote for in the November Election ? Easy, just look around at the squalor in the Cities that have been controlled (raped) by...
                                Yesterday, 12:03 PM
                                by 99explorer
                                To answer Rock Rat's question, I would say that Joe Biden would be the least objectionable candidate of the Democratic group.
                                In fact, he is the
                                Yesterday, 11:55 PM
                                by 99explorer
                                I'll say this for Rock Rat - I may not agree with him, but he has done a very thorough analysis, and has thought things through, which is more than I...
                                Yesterday, 11:32 PM
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rat, You are way off on your characterization of the candidates. In answer to your question there is not one I consider right for the Country at this...
                                Yesterday, 11:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X