Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm curious about possum hunting. Anybody know how and if any special equipment is needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am from ohio and i sometimes go out just for possums. just get on your 4 wheeler and drive to the center of the edge of a woods and stay about 50 yards out in the field wait a few seconds and spotlight the edges only about 5 feet up ( looking for their green eyes), they wont climb to high. they like to go to the tips of logs that fall against fences. take a coon squall along so ur legal. get on them quick cause they dart down the log and into the woods if they know u see em'

Comment

shoot 'em up!!

Comment

Trapping would probably work better than hunting them. Just set up a trap and bait it, put in a popular possum habitat, and wait overnight.

Comment

.22 LR should do the job if you can make the good shots. For longer ranges I'd try .223 to ensure a quick kill. A possum can't be too dead.

Comment

ok well im from nz and here we do go out specifically hunting possums coz we hav to otherwise they kill all the native birds and bush and we do that on a quad bike with spotlight and any rifle, usually .22 and 12 gauge tho. u cn also hook them out of low trees and club them aswell, or trap them but its too much effort putting a line out unless ur commercial.

Comment

Get you a .22 LR and Good Luck on getting them!!!

Comment

True that HillbillyDeluxe. I caught one in a trap and it took about 6 or 7 shots to the head to kill the sucker.

Comment

opossum

Comment

Everyone keeps saying a .22 won't take a opossum, but I have never had a problem taking a opossum with one shot from a .22.

Merry CHRISTmas, Happy Hunting and God Bless
                    Knife Freak

Comment

me i just grab a possum by the tail and club it in the back part of its head so that it instantly is killed from head trauma and a broken neck

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad