Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm curious about possum hunting. Anybody know how and if any special equipment is needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well....basically...a gun. If you want it to be easier just set out something in a trap or bait them.

Comment

get with a coon hunter, get a light and a 22. basically when you get in with the coon crowd they will show you how to do anything you need to know and they are all the time buying and trading dogs. like another poster said coon hounds that tree or run anything but coons are going to go cheap. after you get a dog you will need all the dog equipment, kennel dog box for your truck, leashes, collars, and probably a pair of hip waders depending on where you hunt. GOOD LUCK!

Comment

What KIND of gun would you use? An OLD one, you don't even need to load it, just beat them in the head with it.
        I knew this one would get out of hand.

Comment

A .17 HMR works very good for possum. A good old .22 would work also.

Comment

summit29,
            I can tell you from experience you can't beat a opossum in the head and kill it without breaking your stock and gettin worn out. Use a .22.
            But, this post confuses me too. I thought eating opossum went out with the Hoover administration.

Comment

You might buy a better gun then Jim, or try a 2x4.

Comment

As we head further down the possum hole:
                Thanks for the advice Jim, and I do hope it was an old rifle you used.
                Herbie, what legnth of 2x4 do you recommend?

Comment

Hey check this out. I used to put out a trash bag with lots of smelly garbage in it. then I would sit on my porch at night with my .22 and wait till the possums come out. I got one on my wall right next to my computer, no lie.

Comment

Well there we have it. I think HillbillyDeluxe has summed up possum hunting perfectly.

Comment

Ya keep in mind them sons a guns can be hard to kill. I've taken some that withstood 3 hollow-point .22's through the vitals before I knocked 'em down. Then they hiss and crap and stink so skin em quick.

Comment

A car or truck witch ever you like that will do the trick

Comment

Yeah, never heard of somebody actually going to hunt them on purpose!!!

To each there own. Good luck.

Comment

A bright spotlight and a gun that will shoot any kind of ammunition

Comment

Hey HillbillyDeluxe do you shoot them in the chest so you can head mount them or do you prefer full body mount?

Comment

You a rifle and plenty of ammo.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Treason or a traitor?
                                  by 99explorer
                                  Jimbo -
                                  Are you going to be at the big rally on Saturday?

Paranoia drives many Trump supporters to avoid weekend 'Justice for January...
                                  Today, 01:52 PM
                                • Treason or a traitor?
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Gen. Mark A. Milley, in the last days of the Trump administration, told his Chinese counterpart that he would call the Chinese ahead of time if Trump...
                                  09-14-2021, 03:51 PM
                                • Reply to States sue over vaccine mandate.
                                  by labrador12
                                  What about the millions of illegals rat? Should only citizens be mandated to be vaccinated?
                                  Today, 01:41 PM
                                • States sue over vaccine mandate.
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  This is Constitutional overreach.
                                  Biden does not have the authority by law OR executive order to demand Americans take the vaccination.
                                  09-10-2021, 11:03 AM
                                • Reply to Burgers, what’s on yours?
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  I don't remember. It was the food traveling road show with the guy with the gray/white 'leave it to beaver' hair style....
                                  Today, 01:36 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X