Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking about hunting predators with my uncle like fox,bobcats and coyotes. I have a 7mm with 130 grain winchester and a 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm thinking about hunting predators with my uncle like fox,bobcats and coyotes. I have a 7mm with 130 grain winchester and a 22

I'm thinking about hunting predators with my uncle like fox,bobcats and coyotes. I have a 7mm with 130 grain winchester and a 22. with 50 grain bullets they are both equipped with medium powered scopes. Which should i use and my maximum range would be about 200 yards where i hunt. P.S. Do you think i could use my 7mm with my 130 grain bullets for black bear hunting?

Is it a 7mm-08 or 7mm rem mag?

A 7mm rem mag is way more than needed for yotes. A 7mm mag could be used for all north american big game. Some folks may say its a little to light for the big bears (grizzly, brown, polar) but it still could be used. Many of the elk and moose hunters I know use a 7mm rem mag.

Comment

I would say yes,they will take the coyote down for sure,and bears.

Comment

Yes it's fine for black bears. I'd go with a slighly heavier bullet though, if it were me.

Comment

For either 7mm, a tough 140 grain bullet under 200 yards will be dandy for black bears. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and Barnes TSX would be great choices.

Comment

The .22 would be good for the small game. And the 7mm would be more than enough for the bear.

Comment

If you are walking a lot and care about the pelts. carry the .22 coyote hunting over the 7mm. It'll be a lot lighter and cause less damage. Otherwise the 7mm will take care of business very well.

My guess is that you will be hunting black bear over bait. Take the scope off (if the barrel has fixed sights) the 7mm and buy a heavy jacketed bullet for bear.

Comment

The 7MM with a 130 is plenty although overkill for preditors but it is flat shooting and therefore good for longer range shots and for running animals. I never shoot at coyotes with a .22 any more. I tried that a few times when I was a kid and discovered you too often just cripple them... they are too tough for it. I shot one three times in the chest at 30 yards and tracked him a mile before losing him. I know that it defies logic but they are just too tough for a .22. I'm sure they eventually die but it not a good thing for a clean kill. Your 130 grain will certainly do a job on a black bear but you would be better off using a little bigger bullet. Remember that if you hit it in the heart, it will be dead with anything out of a 7mm Rem.

Comment

What 22 are you talking about? A centerfire maybe? The rimfire doesn't come with a 50 gr. bullet unless you're talking about the 22 Mag.. Straighten me out on this.

Comment

The 7mm will work for pretty much anything in the U.S. It is bigger than what I like to use for Coyotes but I am not sure if I would want to take any 200 yard shot with a .22 rimfire.

Comment

Guys i'm sorry i checked the box and the bullets for my 7mm are 150 grain silvertips by winchester so those would put down a bear real good , but ill have to buy a little lighter ammo for coyotes.

Comment

I would not recomend the .22 for coyotes. If your not going after the fur overkill is not an issue! Even a coyote deserves a quick kill.Fox and bobcats will also soak up a .22 round and clear out in my opinion.I have no experience with bear.

Comment

So mr. uwurst what do you think i should use for coyotes? and yes i would like a good coyote or bobcat pelt for a rug.

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Abortion Up To States
                                by 99explorer
                                When an appeals court reviews a case, it looks at past rulings on the subject for a precedent, as the question of law may already have been decided....
                                Today, 11:11 AM
                              • Abortion Up To States
                                by jhjimbo
                                Court reversed abortion, back to the States where it should have been in the first place. Let them vote on it.
                                Yesterday, 12:22 PM
                              • Reply to TGIF; Party Time
                                by PigHunter
                                Right Said Fred - "I'm Too Sexy"

And I'm too sexy for your party
                                Too sexy for your party
                                No way I'm disco dancing...
                                Today, 10:21 AM
                              • TGIF; Party Time
                                by fitch270
                                Almost, Friday evening actually but looking for a play list, lol.

Getting it rolling with The Cars.

06-22-2022, 10:06 AM
                              • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                                by 99explorer
                                I think what you are saying is that our elected officials would disarm the public to prevent an armed insurrection.
                                Not for reasons of public safety,...
                                Today, 10:16 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X