Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I live in eastern N.C., where it's very flat. So flat, in fact, that many counties ban the firing of centerfire rifles from less

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    $$$

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    $$$

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    $$$

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    $$$

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    $$$

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    $$$

Leave a comment:

• GiantWhitetails
    replied
    i do it but i make sure i am aiming in a direction where i know less buildings are. or you could just wait to shoot until the squirrels go on the ground for food, thats alot safer. you could even sit in a treestand to reduce the upwards angle of your shots.

Leave a comment:

• Skeeb
    replied
    Try using a shotgun, it doesn't really matter what guage you use, use bird shot or something aloong those lines. It takes them out anywhere up to probably 45 yards depending on the barrel length of your gun.

Leave a comment:

• Teodoro
    replied
    Thanks all for lots of good responses. I hadn't thought to use the tree itself as a failsafe backstop. I got so drilled on "no dirt, no shoot" that it just never occurred to me. This whole thing makes a bucket more sense now. Also good idea on the shifting position to make the backstop work.

Thanks guys.

Leave a comment:

• NolanOsborne
    replied
    As previously stated before, make sure you have a solid backstop. Usually not very hard, you can walk to a certain point until the squirrel is where you want him, and they often will stay put.

Leave a comment:

• mattreney
    replied
    i think those .22 BBs deercamp was talking about are called snake shot i saw them at cabellas once and a guy said their actually made for birds and squirrels not snakes. who would even hunt snakes?

Leave a comment:

• libertyfirst
    replied
    I've always hunted squirrel with the 22 rimfire. Both long rifle and short. The destination of the bullet has to be a primary concern. I've always made sure that a miss will hit another branch,tree trunk or land mass. No squirrel is worth a disaster where a person might be injured. IF YOU CAN'T SET THIS TYPE OF SHOT UP, DON'T SHOOT!

Leave a comment:

• squirrelhunter
    replied
    shoot a 22 short
    these are good rounds too shoot in air because after they travel so far they desinegrate this is wat i hunt with
    and they take a toll on the squirrels
    a good scope and you orta be able to pick em off at about 100 yrds or a lil less

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    If you're shooting at a 45 degree angle or above, the bullet will lose all of its energy other than that gravity imparts.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    .22 shotshell is only good for a very short distance, in the range of a few feet. The shot really spreads out quickly and is tiny - much too tiny to try to pick out of game. We used it mostly for pest control. Aren't matouse3's words lessons from hunters safety?

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad