Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I live in eastern N.C., where it's very flat. So flat, in fact, that many counties ban the firing of centerfire rifles from less

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I live in eastern N.C., where it's very flat. So flat, in fact, that many counties ban the firing of centerfire rifles from less

I live in eastern N.C., where it's very flat. So flat, in fact, that many counties ban the firing of centerfire rifles from less than eight feet off the ground. But I have heard that a popular way to hunt squirrels, even here, is to shoot them out of the trees with a .22. It seems to me that even a .22 will go for a long way if I miss a squirrel's head in the trees. For that matter, it seems to me it would go a long way in hilly country, too, since you aim up for tree-borne squirrels. Is this still common practice? Is it safe? How much unoccupied land would I need to have behind a squirrel tree to safely try this?

This is a very popular way to hunt squirrels. Accually, this is the way I hunt them. It really depends how much land to have behind you. If you can hit 'em, you wont need much. If your not quite comfortable shooting them out of the tree, than you may want to have a bit more land behind you. On the back of the box it says the bullet is dangorous up to 1 1/2 miles. So if I were you, you should probably want a bit more than that to stay safe. You dont want to kill sombody or anything.

Comment

Its every hunter's responsibility to make sure they have a adequate back stop to their shot. Whether it be a tree trunk or branch or a hill.

Comment

If shooting up at squirrels, they make some 22 rounds with small bb's, they will not go that far. Not sure what they are called, but know they exist. Or simple use a pellet gun. Always be sure of your backround. There is no game animal on Earth that we should risk a dangerous shot that may injure or kill someone. Unless they are from Illinois. LoL send them back on the next plane. I am from WI.

Comment

The rounds huntcamp is talking about is a .22 shot shell round. It looks like a shotgun shell sized down to .22. The only company I've seen manufacture it is CCI. These could work for sure but be careful. They work best out of a smoothbore .22 rifle. Shooting them out of your .22 that has rifling, could mess it up and lead to decreased accuracy over time.

Comment

.22 shotshell is only good for a very short distance, in the range of a few feet. The shot really spreads out quickly and is tiny - much too tiny to try to pick out of game. We used it mostly for pest control. Aren't matouse3's words lessons from hunters safety?

Comment

If you're shooting at a 45 degree angle or above, the bullet will lose all of its energy other than that gravity imparts.

Comment

shoot a 22 short
                these are good rounds too shoot in air because after they travel so far they desinegrate this is wat i hunt with
                and they take a toll on the squirrels
                a good scope and you orta be able to pick em off at about 100 yrds or a lil less

Comment

I've always hunted squirrel with the 22 rimfire. Both long rifle and short. The destination of the bullet has to be a primary concern. I've always made sure that a miss will hit another branch,tree trunk or land mass. No squirrel is worth a disaster where a person might be injured. IF YOU CAN'T SET THIS TYPE OF SHOT UP, DON'T SHOOT!

Comment

i think those .22 BBs deercamp was talking about are called snake shot i saw them at cabellas once and a guy said their actually made for birds and squirrels not snakes. who would even hunt snakes?

Comment

As previously stated before, make sure you have a solid backstop. Usually not very hard, you can walk to a certain point until the squirrel is where you want him, and they often will stay put.

Comment

Thanks all for lots of good responses. I hadn't thought to use the tree itself as a failsafe backstop. I got so drilled on "no dirt, no shoot" that it just never occurred to me. This whole thing makes a bucket more sense now. Also good idea on the shifting position to make the backstop work.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Try using a shotgun, it doesn't really matter what guage you use, use bird shot or something aloong those lines. It takes them out anywhere up to probably 45 yards depending on the barrel length of your gun.

Comment

i do it but i make sure i am aiming in a direction where i know less buildings are. or you could just wait to shoot until the squirrels go on the ground for food, thats alot safer. you could even sit in a treestand to reduce the upwards angle of your shots.

Comment

$$$

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad