Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about cooking squirrel got me thinking. I am blessed with a wife who will cook turkeys and venison, but won't get nea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Elmer Fudd, you are a lucky man my friend!

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Elmer Fudd, you are a lucky man my friend!

Leave a comment:

• bigpeep
    replied
    The only game my wife will cook is ground deer. Anything else I'm on my own. Of course she doesn't eat anything besides deer either so I guess its not to bad.

Leave a comment:

• Elmer Fudd
    replied
    Sharkfin, good thing it ain't a problem. I can cook it too, one point of my question is almost "is there such a thing in the future as a hunter-but-not-a-cook?"

One fellow I used to know said his first wife was no good, she "wouldn't even cook cornpone"

Leave a comment:

• Sharkfin
    replied
    I already do this. My wife has a hard time browning ground beef. She says the smell of cooking meat makes her sick. Maybe this is just a clever trick to get me to do it. I don't really mind. I'd prefer to cook my own burgers, steaks, pheasant, turkey, chicken, dove poppers, fish, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Elmer Fudd
    replied
    MLH: excellent video for my wife to watch! Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• Elmer Fudd
    replied
    Jim in Mo, my wife could *definitely* cook squirrel but she has a bad reaction to the very notion. Her Grandfather was a duck hunter and that is really helping the situation, but like a lot of city folks just can't handle the idea of eating the "tree chickens".

DakotaMan writes: "Even in the boonies, it is rare to find a woman who cleans the catch." Yes, this theme seems constant and maybe you have to go back to Pioneer Days of yesteryear for anything different!

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Even in the boonies, it is rare to find a woman who cleans the catch. It does happen occassionally but hasn't for me. I grew up with the you kill it you clean it credo and after about 40 years together, my beautiful wife still doesn't clean things.

Leave a comment:

• libertyfirst
    replied
    I hate going to restaurants because my beautiful wife can cook anything to perfection. She loves cooking wild game,but her rule is pretty simple. "you shoot it and you clean it and I'll do the rest". I guess that you've got to find a girl that has grow up the same way as you have. I've been married 37 years and we were born 6 miles away from each other. I'm a lucky, lucky man!

Leave a comment:

• Armchair Mike
    replied
    My wife's rule is that she will prepare it, but as she says, it must already "look like meat." No fins, fur, or feathers, or she's not touching it.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    Elmer Fudd,
    Your blessed, if she can cook any wild game she can cook squirrel. Can she make homemade brown gravy, dumplings, or simmer potatoes and carrots with meat falling off the bone? She can do squirrel.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Video didn't work? Well, same with me and an old girlfriend. I guess we are on our own.

Reminds me of a story - I walked into a friend's kitchen and said, "Hi!" to his mom. She was fiddling with some furry things in the sink. I walked over out of curiosity. There were a dozen squirrel heads in the sink. She had a bloody head in one hand and a knife in the other. I looked at her, speechless. She said, "I take out the brains, pat them together and fry them up like burgers. Hey! You squirrel hunt. Bring the heads over the next time you go hunting." What could I say? "Sure thing!" Nope. They don't make many like her anymore.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Have her watch this video ... "Hey, Honey. You gotta see this!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlK0Xd4c2c

Leave a comment:

• Teodoro
    replied
    I remember hearing a girl in school saying that her brother had definitely done well fishing that morning, because she had seen the trout he had <b>left in the sink for her to clean.</b>

My jaw nearly dropped because, while my mother would cook some stuff, I was always taught, "You kill it, you clean it."

Leave a comment:

• burnettjv
    replied
    I'm afraid the hunter will have to clean and cook all game. I believe this because I am that hunter. My wife refuses to cook any game I bring home. My grandmother filets fish and cleans ducks, then cooks a wonderful meal with the game.As a child, my mother had to clean quail my grandfather brought home from a day in the field, but did'nt have to cook it. Now my wife refuses to participate at all. My only hope is to get her involved in hunting, then maybe she will come around. I have been working on her though! She loves to shoot turtles in the pond with a .22, hopefully I will get her out into the dove field this September, keep your fingers crossed!

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad