Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alright guys, I have a problem fox on my property. My options are pretty much my crossbow. I've got 100 gr broadheads for deerhu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright guys, I have a problem fox on my property. My options are pretty much my crossbow. I've got 100 gr broadheads for deerhu

Alright guys, I have a problem fox on my property. My options are pretty much my crossbow. I've got 100 gr broadheads for deerhunting, Muzzy's, and its an excalibur x-bow, so i figure that will do the trick. Im looking for advice on how to call/bait/ lure this fox in, time of day... any tips would be great guys.

well if it is a problem fox it seems to me he is already coming around, for something you already have .

Comment

If it was me, i would trap it.

Comment

i'm guessing he'd come to a wounded rabbit call or some type of cat call.

Comment

What kind of problem is he causing?

Comment

I've had the best luck calling fox with a tape by Johnny Stewart "woodpecker distress" or something like that name. Two of us hunt together and use 6 lb monofilament line to attach a feather or two to a tree branch and then walk away about 30 yards. The guy with the string does the calling and the other takes up a stand away from the caller to do the shooting. Make sure the wind is in your face. This method has worked for us very well on fox and not as good with coyote.

Comment

liberty, I'm anxious to hear the problem because I'm thinking it may be a coyote. Foxes don't usually prey on pets like coyotes. They'll steal your dog food but so what.

Comment

Like Jim in Mo says, fox usually don't cause problems. If you do have a problem fox, might be best to set a dirt hole set wherever he is giving you the problem.

Comment

I don't really think this is the best way to go about it, but I've been hunted by fox while turkey hunting plenty of times. Oh how they flip out when they realize you are not a turkey.

Comment

jim in mo if they have chickens the fox will be around trust me . and come at just about any time of the day from my experience . but i will take a fox over a raccoon any day of the week .when you get awaken up by two coons fighting in the tree out side your bed room window at two in the morning over a sleeping hen you will know what i mean . but happily it is nothing a 12 gauge and spot light wont take care of. although a few questions might have to be answered to neighbors . but like you say if it is pets, small to mid size dogs its a yote . small cat it could be a fox .

Comment

no chickens, they took my last two cats, and it is around in odd hours of the day, in the middle of the day, walking down streets and such. I have already called the Ministry of Natural Resources and they told me it is most likely just not afraid of humans. I know it is not rabid, it is healthy.

Comment

you can try a rabbit in distress call or a wood pecker in distress call ,both will work for fox or coyote .some electronic calls also have a pup in distress call mainly for coyotes but it might peak a foxes interest as well. or a simple bait pile of meat scraps and canned dog food will work and just sit in the evening or early morning and wait for it to show up . it kind of sounds more like a coyote if it is taking cats on a regular basis . you stand a chance of getting a fox to go in to a large live trap as well if you camouflage it well with grass and brush . either way good luck to you

Comment

Are you in a city and need to stay on the down low? If so try going after him around dusk/into the dark. They eat meat so out some dinner leftovers out as your bait and wait in the dark.

Comment

Jay
                            What's a dirt hole set?

Comment

Not in the city, where i live i can legally hunt them, but their are neighbors somewhat close by.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad