Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where should I aim to kill a squirrel, or where do you aim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where should I aim to kill a squirrel, or where do you aim?

where should I aim to kill a squirrel, or where do you aim?

With a .22 in the head other wise if you hit them in the body it will damage alot of the little meat they have.

Comment

Head

Comment

shoot them with anything bigger that a .17 and it wont matter where you shoot it. it will die but head is the only automatic kill. chest area is close too but not only do you damage the meat but the squerrel if in a tree has the chance to get back in its nest

Comment

Yep, .22 in the head.

Comment

Around my house, pests get a .17 to the lungs. If i were hunting for food, a head shot is best.

Comment

Head shot.

Comment

in the head

Comment

aiming for the head is a good idea even when using a shotgun, since you will do less damage to the good meat that way. If it seams too hard to aim for the head, the squirrel is *too far away* ... this is a good test for judging the range.

Sometimes I get city folks who can't imagine why you would use a shotgun. They imagine a squirrel is a little ball of fluff that will be blown to pieces. So I remind them you hunt quail with a shotgun and they start to get it.

A lot of folks use a .22 and never consider anything else, and that's cool. But I find I have to skip too many shots and I am expected to come up with several big pots of brunswick stew every year.

Comment

I agree with others here that wounding a squirrel means it usually gets away to die. That hide is tough and they do *not* get blown to pieces like a ball of fluff.

A squirrel knows every single hole in every single tree in the woods and how to get there fast.

Comment

Head

Comment

the head if you hit in the bidy you can damage some of the meat and there isn't much to waste.

Comment

Head.

Comment

Head is good for a rifle. I prefer a shotgun, shot doesn't travel as far, and if your shooting into tops of trees no telling how far or what your bullet could hit. And small shot doesn't waste any meat, just makes your wife make funny faces when you spit out shot at the supper table.

Comment

head

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad