Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My family owns and opperates a small farm which has recently built up a decent wild hog population. They're not really a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My family owns and opperates a small farm which has recently built up a decent wild hog population. They're not really a problem

My family owns and opperates a small farm which has recently built up a decent wild hog population. They're not really a problem since most of what we have is cattle pasture but I figured hunting them would be fun. If you have any tips on hunting wild hogs I'd love to hear them.

bamaboy,
    If they are not a problem now they will be. heck, invite some of us down, we'll show you how to get rid of them and have a good BBQ that night!

Comment

You tell em' Jim ! (lol)
      I'd set up some corn feeders and get your rifle/shotgun/bow ready. Set up blinds/stands in good areas and "hollar" when your ready for the BBQ, O.K ?
      (lol).

Comment

Listen to Jim and O they are giving you good advice. Half grown pigs are best eating. Boars are usually rank and sows are usually thin from nursing pigs. a fat sow is usually pregnant and good eating too.

Comment

corn on ground,smoker time and cold beer

Comment

If you kill everyone you see from now on, you will never be able to control the population. So you better get started. Do not be fooled into thinking that they cant do much damage to your cattle pasture.

Comment

Bamaboy,

There is no such thing as a managable feral hog population. They are the fastest expanding non-native pest in the US. With adequate nutrition, a feral hog population can double in 4 months. Breeding occurs throughout the year when conditions are favorable, and seasonallywhen food supply and nutrient quality vary. Females begin breeding at about 8 to 10 months old, or as young as 6 months if food is abundant.
              Under favorable conditions, sows can produce two litters every 12 to 15 months, with an average of four to eight piglets per litter. One must kill 75% of the established population every year to maintain the status quo. This is an almost impossible task. Do every thing you can to get rid of them including getting your neighbors in on the act.

They will in hard times root up your pasture for root shoots and grubs. They will destroy the nests of ground nesting birds (think turkey & quail). In the fall they will decimate hardwoods stands with their rooting and feeding. What they don't eat they will bury. Their rooting will also create erosion problems, their wallowing will also muddy streams and increase fecal coliform levels in the streams.

Bait them, trap them, do what ever you can to keep their population down. The only good feral hog is a dead feral hog. And for goodness sake if you see a pregnant sow kill it!

Comment

Watch out. They are very Prolific breeders. They'll quickly become a problem. Hunt them early and often. Invite friends. Buy or build a smoker.

Comment

"SHOOT HER!"

Seriously. Get going.

Comment

If they're not a problem now, they will be. I'll just have to take a walk down there to help you out!

Comment

Beekeeper is right on. A Biologist for Texas Parks and Wildlife recently told me that I had to kill 70% of the hog population annually to keep the population level. Even at 1-2 per week, the pogs keep growing and growing on my lease.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys I am hoping to put a few porkers over the pit before they get to bad. Special thanks to Jim and Big O great advice

Comment

Get busy my friend!

Comment

Get busy my friend!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad