Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the squirrel hunters out there, does your state have a spring season and if so do you plan on hunting on opening day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the squirrel hunters out there, does your state have a spring season and if so do you plan on hunting on opening day?

For the squirrel hunters out there, does your state have a spring season and if so do you plan on hunting on opening day?

The season opens here on the 15th and I plan on being in the woods chasing tail.

Comment

Yes.
      No.
      Used to squirrel hunt quite a bit. Not so much anymore. Just one of those "things"!

Comment

No, only spring season for turkey, everything else opens in the fall.

Comment

FirstBubba, you ought to consider getting back into squirrel hunting. I had forgotten how much fun it was until I started teaching the grandson how to hunt. It also sharpens your woodcraft as well.

Comment

Ozark, this is actually really cool to me. In Alabama we don't have a spring season but I'm going to be working in Fordyce, AR this summer and was thinking about getting an out of state license but didn't really know it is was worth it.
            How does the spring season usually fair compared to the fall? What distinctively different about it?

Comment

Ozark
              It's a long story.
              I don't have a place with a decent squirrel population.
              It's just me and the wife. She's not a big squirrel eater, unless there's no choice.
              My nearest child is 130 miles and I have no grandchildren, at this point! LOL!
              For me to hunt just for me? It's just more trouble than it's worth! I can kill one and I'm done!
              So a "morning" in the woods turns into a 15 minute foray for a single squirrel

Comment

Ozark
                It's a long story.
                I don't have a place with a decent squirrel population.
                It's just me and the wife. She's not a big squirrel eater, unless there's no choice.
                My nearest child is 130 miles and I have no grandchildren, at this point! LOL!
                For me to hunt just for me? It's just more trouble than it's worth! I can kill one and I'm done!
                So a "morning" in the woods turns into a 15 minute foray for a single squirrel!
                I do still take the occasional squirrel when the opportunity arises.
                My most favorite recipe:
                1 squirrel - cut up
                Dredge in flour and brown slightly in a skillet.
                Put browned pieces in a loaf pan with onions, garlic and black pepper.
                Using The drippings from frying the squirrel, make a thin gravy.
                Pour gravy over squirrel, cover with foil and bake at 350° for 60 to 90 minutes.
                Serve with/over hit buttered biscuits!

Comment

How'd THAT happen?
                  Would/could you call that a "post and a half"?

Comment

Tayhawk, the season opens up on the 15th and runs through to the last day of February 2015. I am not that familiar with the Fordyce area but you should be able to find squirrels in the river bottom hardwoods all year. With the great mast crop from last year the population should be in good shape and plenty of young squirrels to shoot at. Non-resident hunting licenses will run you $80 for the year or you can get a 5 day one for $55.

The spring hunt can be a little tougher because of the new growth and foliage and you really have to be allert to pick up the squirrels moving. A lot more challenging that in the fall winter but can be rewarding as well. Good luck and safe hunting.

BTW check out squirrelsunlimited.com .

Comment

FirstBubba, the recipe sounds great and I will have to try it some time. I have found that a crock pot gets them good and tender, if you have the time to do a squirrel that way, then add some BBQ sauce with maybe a tad of Tabasco Chipotle sauce thrown in. Dang! now I am getting hungry for some squirrel.

Comment

Ozark
                        Yep! Smothered in gravy, they be tender as chicken!
                        ...and I like to throw in a cubed up potatoe. UNLESS...you like gravy over your fries!
                        (rats! I may have to go squirrel hunting now!)

Comment

Ozark,
                          Appreciate the tips. Between $80 for a small game license and $60 for fishing and trout permit Arkansas will do alright for having me visit for three months. I'm just glad they have low license prices $140 for all that isn't bad at all for out of state.
                          Thanks again.

Comment

Not a problem TayHawk!

Comment

Not in Ohio. I would guess it is because squrriel are having their young in march and april.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad