Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips for coyote hunting? Or getting them on camera? I've put up a trail Cam on a game trail but can't catch anything on it,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BillSheive5555
    replied
    Put some old meat out and get a predator call. Sit out there at night and theyll come. After that you can blast the heck out of them.

Leave a comment:

• PredatorBC
    replied
    Well i figured out why i haven't gotten any coyote pictures! i went coyote hunting this morning and was calling for 30 when i decided to go check the camera. The whole camera was frosted over but there were HUGE wolf tracks just feet from it and then went all the way down the road, we had a pack on our ranch 2 years ago but we shot 4 of them and the other 5 were never seen again, maybe they're coming back! the camera was all blurry because of the frost but hopefully i get a good picture in the next week.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Another technique
    If you have access to a butcher shop or any meat/fat/trimmings, chop the trimmings up so you can roll them in softball sized balls and then freeze them. Drive around the countryside and deposit these frozen balls in the same locations (fence rows, tree bottlenecks, thick bedding areas) at the same time several times per week. After about a month of this, you may see coyotes waiting for you as you approach these locations. If not, these will at least become prime calling locations.

The point is: you can make hot spots of your own. Realize that highly pressured coyotes are very cautious of human scent but once they realize that it is OK, they will ignore it.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    I baited with beef flavored dry dog food for black bears and I got tons of coyote photos on my trail cameras.
    This trail cam photo below has a Coyote at my bait pile.

www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?pnid=1001499615#1001499615

Leave a comment:

• JustTakeMeHunting14
    replied
    for pictures I would say any kind of meat or even urine for trapping or some type of fur/feather to attract their curiosity. for hunting, calls can be extremely effective however 1) pay attention to the wind 2)conceal yourself 3)enter the field via a low impact route 4)keep all noise and motion to a minimum and 5) i know scent control gets a lot of criticism but I have enjoyed great results with dead down wind products. I think scent control is important

Leave a comment:

• JustTakeMeHunting14
    replied
    for pictures I would say any kind of meat or even urine for trapping or some type of fur/feather to attract their curiosity. for hunting, calls can be extremely effective however 1) pay attention to the wind 2)conceal yourself 3)enter the field via a low impact route 4)keep all noise and motion to a minimum and 5) i know scent control gets a lot of criticism but I have enjoyed great results with dead down wind products. I think scent control is important

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    I do most my coyote hunting at night but I live in a populated area and the yotes are very shy. I spent $269 on an electronic call but call many more coyotes in with a cheap plastic hand call. Just saying.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Harry this is the time of year for coyotes. You can see them on the snow and the next few weeks they will be running wild all day during the mating season. Call a couple of sets early in the morning and in the evening. All you need is a hand call.

Outside of prime calling time, I like to drive around country roads watching for them at a distance. I'd shoot 100g bullets out of the .270. If possible, use a .22 to shoot out small patches of timber or brush where they will bed and get them running out in the open where you will have a shot. Hunt with buddies and set blockers at strategic points on these if possible.

This is prime time for night hunting if it is legal in B.C. I like to go out at midnight and hunt for a few hours. I use a hand call and moon light on the fresh snow with lighted reticle or a 12 gauge with 4 Buck. They will come in with reckless abandon at night and they will jump right on you if you let them keep coming in. I often call out of trees at night if possible to keep scent down but I have had them put their nose on my muzzle coming in from down wind. At night, they just don't have fear.

Leave a comment:

• PredatorBC
    replied
    Dakota Man, I'm getting that savage Vlp in March but for now I'll just use my .270, i live on my grandfathers ranch that is around 3000 acres, the terrain is mostly flat because of the fields but also rolling hills with coniferous forest on the edges, I have a cheap electronic call but it doesn't work very well so I'm going to save up for a foxpro firestorm. I'm only 16 and only have a summer job so it's hard to buy all the hunting stuff that i want but I'm working on getting a nice varmint hunter setup.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Lots of techniques depending on your locale and local laws. What type of terrain will you be hunting?

Calling is always a top choice but is a lot of work. In most areas, you will probably get a few good calls in per day and you will probably make about 6-8 calls on average per coyote. A distressed rabbit call is the most universal. Call about 20 minutes intermittently. If you don't get something coming in that time, move on. A shotgun with 4 Buck is good but a varmint rifle gives you better odds if you are around long range shooting possibilities.

Leave a comment:

• PredatorBC
    replied
    I live in British Columbia, I've put out small slabs of meat and still nothing but ravens

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    Not sure what part of the country you are from but around here (Ohio) the best way to get a photo of a coyote is to drag a road kill deer into the woods and put a camera over it. Call your local Sheriff to make sure you are legal.

Leave a comment:

• Any tips for coyote hunting? Or getting them on camera? I've put up a trail Cam on a game trail but can't catch anything on it,

Any tips for coyote hunting? Or getting them on camera? I've put up a trail Cam on a game trail but can't catch anything on it, I know they're there tho because I've seen them several times and they Killed my sisters dog, need tips!

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad