Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how old do you think a kid should be before he can hunt? assuming he has taken a hunters safety course and complied with all sta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a very individual answer. Only you know your child's limitations. Or as a Dumber than a Bag of Rocks Friend once told me. His Father's last words were "no son that guns loaded". Hope that gets the point across.

Comment

I agree that the correct age is when the child is mature enough, however, I would get a fellow hunters opinion since I know for sure that I am biased both because he is my son and because I really want to go hunting with him.

Comment

Even more important than hunting, get em in the woods at an early age!
        The younger you start the, the more it interests them!
        Even if I lived in a "can't hunt until 15" state, I would have my kids in the woods!
        My two were shooting a .22 hand gun at about age 3.
        My youngest, now 32 is a Federal LEO and is building an AR!
        The eldest "owns" an AR and totes a .45ACP on duty!
        I'd say they learned well!

Comment

I hunted before I got a license. A friend fixed me up with a 30/40 Krag and a .44cal cap and ball revolver and went for deer and black bear in the Adirondacks. I was really weighted down with ammo, etc. and with that revolver on my waist looked like I was going after Pancho Villa.

Comment

My first hunt was a float hunt for woodies. I was 3. Also at the ripe age of 3 my father taught me to fish. At 8 I followed my dad around grouse hunting, dad gave me a 12 ft boat with a 3.5 hp motor to fish with on our lake, and I learned how to fillet my own fish. At ten i shot my first animal, a squirrel. At 12 I had full privilege to hunt grouse with my dads buddies, and I could hunt our woods alone. Now I'm 17, drive a truck and duck boat around 4 counties, and I fish bass tournaments as a co-angler. Dad gave me a lot of freedom, but didn't teach me how to hunt or fish much. He taught me about guns and safety, but other than that, I figured everything out on my own. I am grateful for this though, cause when ducks locked up or called in a turkey, or I watched big bass smash a topwater I felt a great sense of accomplishment. Reason I bring this up is i know some kids whose parents scout for them and place them in the stand, some even pull the trigger while their kid holds the gun (true story). So when u do decide ur child is mature enough to hunt, get him out to do some of the real work.
            P.S. - Sorry if I kinda rambled

Comment

My first hunt was a float hunt for woodies. I was 3. Also at the ripe age of 3 my father taught me to fish. At 8 I followed my dad around grouse hunting, dad gave me a 12 ft boat with a 3.5 hp motor to fish with on our lake, and I learned how to fillet my own fish. At ten i shot my first animal, a squirrel. At 12 I had full privilege to hunt grouse with my dads buddies, and I could hunt our woods alone. Now I'm 17, drive a truck and duck boat around 4 counties, and I fish bass tournaments as a co-angler. Dad gave me a lot of freedom, but didn't teach me how to hunt or fish much. He taught me about guns and safety, but other than that, I figured everything out on my own. I am grateful for this though, cause when ducks locked up or called in a turkey, or I watched big bass smash a topwater I felt a great sense of accomplishment. Reason I bring this up is i know some kids whose parents scout for them and place them in the stand, some even pull the trigger while their kid holds the gun (true story). So when u do decide ur child is mature enough to hunt, get him out to do some of the real work.
              P.S. - Sorry if I kinda rambled

Comment

Age twelve and not hunting alone until he/she has a few seasons under the belt.

Comment

Canvasbackhunter: So you think it's weird that a parent would pull the trigger for a kid? How about Sarah Palin's dad working her gun while she's trying to shoot a caribou? Repeatedly. And she's hardly a kid! But anyone who even scoffs about that silly (albeit dangerous) incident can expect a lynching from her Tea Party fanatics. Bring a good rope boys!

Comment

I am 14 and I started at 11. I passed the safety course and my dad sad sure. I always hunt with an adult though and i bagged my first deer this past season.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad