Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how old do you think a kid should be before he can hunt? assuming he has taken a hunters safety course and complied with all sta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how old do you think a kid should be before he can hunt? assuming he has taken a hunters safety course and complied with all sta

how old do you think a kid should be before he can hunt? assuming he has taken a hunters safety course and complied with all state regulations.

It all depends on how mature he is for his chronological age.
    I have heard of some in their teens that should not be anywhere near a weapon. Have also seen a 12 year old hunt with a parent do a fine job hunting. Depends.

Comment

Back in my day at 14 you got a Small Game Lic and at 16 you got your Big Game Lic. But that was in New York two years later 1947 they came out with a Hunter Safety Course by the NRA,Personally it should be that way all over the U.S.even Hunting on you own land. I'm old School things were different back then.

Comment

Started huntin with a Daisy Red Ryder when Ah wuz six.

Got turnt loose with a twelve-bore at age 12.

Comment

WV has no minimum age to hunt. My grandson is 13 years and has killed 2 bucks and 4 does with a gun and 2 does and 1 turkey with a bow and 20+ squirrels. He killed his first deer at the age of 7 with his Father by his side for advice. A licensed adult has to be with anyone under the age of 15 while they are hunting. He killed his first 2 deer with a .243 and the next 2 with a .308 with reduced loads and the last 2 with a .308 with regular power loads. His last two kills were at a ranged 307 yards and a ranged 299 yards. He killed a 11 point buck this year with a 17 1/2 inch inside spread with a split brow tine with a lot of mass. Needless to say he is having it mounted. I think the question is more of maturity and not of age. I would rather hunt with him than a lot of 30 or 40 year olds that I have seen in the woods.

Comment

Wow sarge, he sounds like a very accomplished hunter. Good for him.

Comment

He is not a puny 13 year old he is 5' 9" tall and well built. Plays Jr. High basketball and beats me quite often on the golf course.

Comment

Just type [ How old should a child be when you first take them hunting? ] into the small space up on the left hand side of the page with a little red tab that says go. Then push go and see a simular guestion and answers from three years ago.

Comment

I have an 8 yer old boy who is not ready. My 5 y.o. girl on the other hand would shoot an Elephant if i let her. It is different for every child. I think it is important that they understand life and death before pulling the trigger. Very important.

Comment

As others have stated it has more to do with maturity than actual age

Comment

As a fellow New Yorker, I disagree with Treestand. I was more then ready at 12, and since I turned 14 in late Nov. of 1975, I had lost almost a whole small game season in New York because nobody was small game hunting until after deer season was over. Now in NY it's 12 for small game and 14 for big game with a firearm.Almost too late now with all the hunters we have lost over the years. Hard to compete with high school and all the things that take up a young person's time.

Comment

I'm a NYer too. I started going with my dad at the age of 8. I don't understand why hunting as a non-shooter is so poor an option. I did everything except pull the trigger. The ability to observe and not focus on the shootable makes a outdoorsman, not the weight of the game bag. Development of the outdoor individual should be the objective.

Comment

First time I "went hunting", I was 3! Thought I was Dan'l Boone!
                          At 6, I toted an unloaded dbl bbl .410. My job was to "clean up" crippled squirrels.
                          At 8, I was put "on stand" with a single shot 20 ga to squirrel hunt on my own.
                          Eight was when I started deer hunting.
                          At 12, with a dbl bbl 16, I was allowed to hunt specified areas alone.
                          At 16, I would borrow my dad's .30-30 and a shotgun, I spent weekends alone at "The Lease", sometimes with a buddy or two.
                          Now over 60, I'm back hunting alone.

Comment

More important than age is what the kid was already done, completed the safety course, and if you are satisfied with that I would take the kid out, you can start with a scouting trip, no weapons, just glassing the game, if a kid can do that you are ready for the next step. Some people are ready the day they can walk, some never are, (we call them vegans) let us know how it works out!

Comment

The last study done by the USF&WS concluded that if a person doesn't hunt by the age of 17 98% of them will never hunt. I think that states limiting young people from hunting are hurting the sport of hunting. Our young people have so many other things to get into these days that we need to get them into hunting as early in their lives as we can. Our state law says a licensed adult has to be with a young person while hunting. What a better way of spending time with your child teaching them the ethical way of hunting and showing them the proper use of our natural resources.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad