Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking of getting a savage 12 btcss, is that a good accurate gun? I know it's heavy but I'm mostly going to be sitting in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like I was typing while you were. I think that would be a good choice. For typical varmint hunting out to 400-500 yards, you will want to use a 40g-50g bullet yielding the blazing 4100 to 3800 fps respectively. You can try V-Maxs in these weights to see which performs better in your rifle. I like the 50's; my brother likes the 40's, mainly because of accuracy in our respective rifles. The Noslers may work for you too. They just have not done as well in my rifles but others have success with them.

The primary purpose of using the larger bullets is to get over the "pepper into the wind" slow down of these small bullets. The larger bullets start out around 200-400 fps slower than the little bullets but they hold their velocity much better because of their higher ballistic coefficient (less drag in the air).

Bullets of this weight are LONG in .22 caliber so they can upset (de-stabilize) easily if they aren't rotating fast enough for their gyroscopic force to hold them stable. The much faster twist rate of 1 rotation in 9 inches of barrel travel is sufficient to stabilize all 68g bullets and some 75g bullets.

I suspect you will be able to stabilize the 75g Hornady boat tail hollow point but you probably won't be able to stabilize the Hornady 75g A-Max (sorry... just a hair longer and that might be just too much for a 9 twist to handle). Nor will you be able to stabilize the Berger 75g VLD bullet (that is why Berger made the 73g bullet which will work in a 9 twist).

Using a 9 twist, you are operating on the ragged edge of instability with a 75g bullet so you will have to test them to see which ones work. Their manufacturers can tell you if they will work. They are worth researching though because they hold velocity well enough to really extend your accuracy range. The 68g-75g bullets will extend your 22-250 accuracy out to 1000 yards because they allow you to stay supersonic all the way (over 1100 fps).

A second advantage of the bigger bullets is that they are quite deadly for hunting deer sized game should you decide to do that. People who have not used them often feel they are too small for deer. Once they see the .308 like wound channel from one, they begin to question their opinions. By the way, I find that a 55g Combined Technology or Nosler Partition do plenty well enough to crumple a deer at 200 yards.

Hope this helps explain things a little. Enjoy your new toy!

Comment

Thanks for all the information! That really helps! I'll end up buying bth the nosler and the hornady bullets and testing which ones shoot better out've the rifle, and for deer I have a .270 which would probably leave a decent hole in a deer but so far both bucks I've shot with that gun have been in the neck and both does in the head! But thanks for all that information, I'm quite excited to get in to reloading, I've been saving shells from my other rifles for quite some time now! Thanks again!

Comment

DakotaMan is right on target (pun intended)! I have a Savage LRV with a heavy 26" barrel in 22-250. I can handle anything from 40 grain Vmaxs all the way to the 75 grain A maxes. I have not tried the 75 grain VLD's though. My rifle shoots all of them accurately but to different points of aim so with that rifle I mainly shoot heavy bullets. I have another 22-250 with a 1:14 twist that will not stabilize anything above 60 grains. To me the barrel is the most important thing in a varmint rifle including the twist, followed by the trigger (mine has the precision Accu-trigger) and the glass. I have a 8 x 35 Nikon on mine. If I can see it I can kill it!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Bi/Tri -pods
          by PigHunter
          I only attach a bipod for sight-in and load development at the range. And that's relatively new for me. Previously I've just used sandbags. The bipod...
          Today, 11:53 AM
        • Bi/Tri -pods
          by FirstBubba
          I've seen bipods on hunting rifles, but always considered them nonessential and cumbersome ... until I started building AR's.
          A bipod, to me, just...
          Today, 11:36 AM
        • Reply to Bi/Tri -pods
          by Ernie
          I use bi-pods of all kinds, and I use them so much of the time.
          Uses?
          Today, 11:52 AM
        • Reply to Hunting High Up
          by PigHunter
          We have concrete benches at our range and I usually just shoot at 100 yards. May fling a bullet at 200 to check the Nikon Prostaff 5 BDC marks. It's...
          Today, 11:37 AM
        • Hunting High Up
          by jhjimbo
          If you do hunt high up check out the Weatherby Bsckcountry line. The Mark V is the Cadillac and is still reasonable at around $2500. I have two but have...
          09-18-2021, 12:06 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X