Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster. It is an older model, 20 gauge, with a full fixed choke. I got the gun for hunting squirrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster. It is an older model, 20 gauge, with a full fixed choke. I got the gun for hunting squirrels

I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster. It is an older model, 20 gauge, with a full fixed choke. I got the gun for hunting squirrels and rabbits, but I would really like to start grouse hunting. From what I've heard a full choke wouldn't be the preferred choice, as it is too tight. Would you recommend sending the gun to a professional to have it opened up? If so what would be the best constriction? and who would you send it to?

Colty, there must be thousands of used or new in the box 870 barrels out there. Keep your full for squirrels and turkeys and find yourself another barrel.If another barrel has screw-in chokes, use skeet or improved cylinder for grouse. My brother has an old 1100 barrel that had 2'' cut off. Pure cylinder and deadly for bunnies, grouse, woodcock, close pheasants, ducks with steel shot over decoys etc. etc.

Comment

I have a like model shotgun and use it for the blues and it does fine, fixed full choke and 7 1/2 shot. Just get on top of a slight angle and work your way down it zig zagging, you have to watch behind your back though. If you need any more help my email is [email protected] and my phone number is 480-789-1901.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad