Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, so I'm a young guy and by Christmas I'll have a .22 and camo, florescent orange, etc. Nobody in my family that lives near me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, so I'm a young guy and by Christmas I'll have a .22 and camo, florescent orange, etc. Nobody in my family that lives near me

Ok, so I'm a young guy and by Christmas I'll have a .22 and camo, florescent orange, etc. Nobody in my family that lives near me hunts AT ALL. Because of this, I'm planning on hunting small game (squirrel and rabbit) just because it seems to be the most basic type of hunting. I live in South Eastern PA by the way. What are the basic and most important things I should know before I go out? All answers are appreciated.

If you haven't taken a hunters safety course I strongly recommend taking one. it is probably the law in your state anyway. if you have, just remember all you were taught.
    I would say next to safety and being able to hit what you are aiming at, being quiet is the most important. you can be in the best hunting area in the world and if you are not quiet, you probably wont see any animals. I hunted with someone new to hunting back in November, and it was unbelievable how loud he was. crunching through the snow and leaves, talking, his phone rang, AND HE ANSWERED IT! come on!. next, you should be able to read sign. deer rubs, scrapes, squirrel cuttings, tracks, dens, etc. find the sign and you will find the animals.
    find a good place to set up overlooking the sign and it is only a matter of time before you see what you are hunting for.
    if you ever decide to hunt deer, controlling your scent is very important. I just make sure the wind is blowing away from where I think they will approach from. others use scent free soaps and sprays. the wind is free and I think it works the best.

Comment

Great advice from habben. Most critical is that you know and commit to safe use of your rifle. If you are shooting at a squirrel in a tree, think of where your bullet will STOP if you miss. If you shoot a bullet into the air, it may come down on someone's forehead a mile away. Make sure you understand what is behind ever shot. In terms of getting game, realize that they live there and know everything that goes on in their woods. They hear you coming and hide. So you have to move quietly and occasionally sit very still for 15-30 minutes. You might be surprised just how many squirrels and rabbits are within 50 yards of you at any point in the forest. They just hide when they think a hunter is around. When you locate a squirrel, circle the tree quietly; it will try to stay on the opposite side from you and it will try to hide in big crotches in the limbs. Look for the bushy tail; it is a giveaway. Try to catch them where you have the tree trunk or a big limb behind them to stop your bullet. Best of luck to you and Merry Christmas.

Comment

I forgot to mention that it is a very good idea to get a copy of your states hunting laws. read the whole thing all the way through.

Comment

Just a Tip: Take two {$0.25Cent}Quarters and Snap them off one an other makes a sound that Squirrels will Investigate.
          Just a Note: In Florida If you are Under the age of 18Teen and Hunt State land YOU must be with an Adult(21)or Older with a Valid Hunting Lic.
          Just saying......Hunt safe.....

Comment

Sorry *under the age of 21..not 18teen*

Comment

We have a program in our private hunting club to educate any youth in hunting. Any hunter 16 years or less, can/will be paired with an experienced member that has mentored youths in the past. Perhaps there is a hunting club near you that could provide this service. Make some inquiries. This past season, my nephew educated a 30 year old friend from Connecticut on family land and he was successful on a deer hunt. The best of luck to you.

Comment

If you get a rabbit or squirrel, be sure it is dead before you pick it up. Touch the eye with the barrel of your gun is a good way to tell. Then, don't waste the animal, make a stew or something and enjoy the game animal meal.
                Welcome to the sport of hunting, hunt ethically and safely for the rest of your life.
                Jim

Comment

ryenhaney, you have taken the first very important step in being a successful hunter, and that is don't be afraid to ask questions. All of the above is very good advise, but just getting out in the woods and getting experience is also important and your best teacher. Look and really see what is going on around you, not only with game animals but other creatures as well. I would also suggest going to squirrelsunlimited.com . These guys know squirrel hunting and don't mind answering questions. You may even be able to contact some one from there in your area of PA.

Comment

ryenhaney, you have taken the first very important step in being a successful hunter, and that is don't be afraid to ask questions. All of the above is very good advise, but just getting out in the woods and getting experience is also important and your best teacher. Look and really see what is going on around you, not only with game animals but other creatures as well. I would also suggest going to squirrelsunlimited.com . These guys know squirrel hunting and don't mind answering questions. You may even be able to contact some one from there in your area of PA.

Comment

In PA you MUST take the Hunters safety course. You also have to be with an adult till 16. Good Luck!

Comment

if your legal age, have a license, and have permission for the land your on then your next biggest battle is finding game your best bet for small game is squirrel you need to be quiet when moving to get into range you don't have worry about there noses like a deer if you stop and listen for them cutting (eating nuts), barking, or running around then move quietly to them now comes the important part you need to be good enough to hit something about the size of 2 quarters the head is smaller than that if you can do that you can put a great meal on the table for you and your family hope this helps

Comment

Remember safety, patience, and above all preparation, take the hunters ed classes, Small game is just as hard to hunt as large animals sometime, being quiet and staying still can be difficult practice walking the hills without a gun just as much as when your carrying. Best Wishes

Comment

After you pull the trigger your work has just begun. You have to dress, process, and cook what you have harvested. Use You Tube for videos on field dressing game. There are a lot of good recipes out there, but braises and stews are the best if you aren't used to cooking. F&S has great resources on dressing and cooking as well.

Comment

Remember to make every shot count. Practise whenever you can, and get outside as much as you can. Being outdoors will teach you more than anything else.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad