Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, after shooting a squirrel twice while small game hunting, I walked up on what I thought was the dead body of the squirrel, I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, after shooting a squirrel twice while small game hunting, I walked up on what I thought was the dead body of the squirrel, I

So, after shooting a squirrel twice while small game hunting, I walked up on what I thought was the dead body of the squirrel, I picked it up and the stupid son of a brick bit me. I promptly threw the squirrel against a tree and shot it again, blowing it to pieces. So, out of curiosity, has anyone else had a similar stituation occur?

Always check with the end of the barrel, squirrels, groundhogs and any other small game or varmint before picking up. Lesson learned.

Comment

I always poke the animal's eye with the barrel to make sure they are dead.

Comment

I had a pheasant come back to life in my vest that scared the crap out of me and made everyone else truly cry laughing.

Comment

Years ago,I had one still moving in the game bag after a long while being still.His eyes were dead blank open and I was sure he was dead when I stashed him. I shook him (big old male) out of the jacket bag and killed him.I knew better not to stick my hand in that game bag. I've been raked/spurred many times by rooster pheasants, but a squirrel or woodchuck bite is nothing to fool with.

Comment

Poke it with the barrel to make sure its dead before you pick it up from now on.

Comment

I once had a hunting companion demonstrate how to field-dress a buck deer single-handedly.
              He propped the deer carcass with its head upright between the trunks of a double-trunked tree, with the deer's torso almost vertical. The antlers were not wide enough to lock the head between the trunks.
              As my friend inserted his knife through the skin on the lower belly, the carcass slumped forward, falling against my companion.
              He must have jumped about ten feet in the air, thinking the deer was alive.

Comment

My family spent a lot of money to put a patio in a few summers back and not long after it was finished squirrles started chewing at it and digging in the multch. So naturally I started shooting them with a pellet gun whenever I notaced one out there. There was this one particular squirrel that I shot in the spine. With his front legs he took off running across my lawn and I took off after him. I finaly cought up to him and begain to stomp on his head. Not long after he stopped moving I picked him up and through him into the bed of my truck while I went to get my filet knife to clean him. Not one minuet after putting him in the bed of the tuck I came back out with my knife and the squirrel was sitting up barking at me. Couldnt believe it. It was like he just came back to life. One minuet I had him in my hand under the impression he was as dead as a door nail and the next he running around the bed of my truck barking at me.

Comment

I was told this is a true story. A nice buck in Michigan and the guy wanted a picture with it. He put his Winchester '94 across the antlers. Yep, the deer got up and took off with his gun. Don't know if he ever found the gun.
                  Can you imagine another hunter going to take a shot at it and sees it has a gun. LOL.

Comment

An acquaintance told me that he had shot a squirrel and put it on a pin which was attached to his belt loop. The squirrel came back to life and started giving it his all to get away. Eventually he dispatched the squirrel but not before doing a long and improvised jig in the squirrel woods.

Comment

An acquaintance told me that he had shot a squirrel and put it on a pin which was attached to his belt loop. The squirrel came back to life and started giving it his all to get away. Eventually he dispatched the squirrel but not before doing a long and improvised jig in the squirrel woods.

Comment

I had one latch onto the skin between my thumb and pointer. It hurt like heck and changed the way I dsipatch all critters when making sure they are finished. One note of concern is that not common any animal can carry rabies. Be safe and always keep your head on a swivel and prepared for anything.

Comment

The only time i've ever been bit by a "wild" animal is when I picked up a feral kitten that had its back broken by my neighbors dog. My hand swole up pretty big after that. But anyway, do you really think the squirrel is worthy of an insult? I mean wouldn't you try to bite someone after they shot you twice and were planning on eating you?

Comment

No idea just how many hundreds of dead squirrels I've picked up.
                            Only one came back to "life" and had to be dispatched.
                            Picking up squirrels is the one thing I was extremely cautious about, and no, Inever had one bite me! (lucky? probably! LOL!)
                            jhjimbo
                            I've heard that story for years! Truth behind it? Questionable!
                            But honestly, I seen some guys just that scatter brained! LOL!
                            My Story:
                            Jerry M was hunting elk in south west Colorado. A really nice bull popped out at about 50 yards and Jerry nailed him. The bull dropped at the shot!
                            Jerry hurried over to the bull and was admiring the huge antlers. Noticing a bullet hole in the right antler, he stepped back from the bull and checked the bull for a wound! That's when he noticed the bull was breathing and his eyes were closed, AND...there WAS NO WOUND! At pount blank range, he shot rhe bull in the neck, anchoring him for good!

Comment

I escaped serious injury 3 years ago from a 10 point buck that I shot and thought was dead. I always shoot high shoulder. On the shot the buck dropped like a rock. I gathered up everything and put it in my backpack and walked up to the buck and he was laying there and I should have noticed that his eye lid blinked but it didn't register until it was over. 10 minutes had passed since I had shot the buck. I was about 2 feet from the buck and was getting my camera out of my backpack and heard a noise and looked around and the buck was about 4 feet in the air doing a 360 and was leaving the country. There was only a drop or two of blood where his back was lying. Apparantly I had only grazed his back and temporarly stunned him . My buddy and I looked for a couple of hours and found no sign of hair or blood. The buck looked unharmed when he left the area. If he had lunged forward instead of doing a 360 I would have been hurt seriously. I am a lot more careful now. Back to squirrels, they are a rodent and can carry the rabies virus.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by crm3006
                                Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                                Today, 05:22 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X