Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have been trying to catch these 2 pesky squirrels. After catching 2 large skunks I had the thought of taking care of them and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been trying to catch these 2 pesky squirrels. After catching 2 large skunks I had the thought of taking care of them and

I have been trying to catch these 2 pesky squirrels. After catching 2 large skunks I had the thought of taking care of them and then skinning them. It's a Have A Heart trap. Is this job to stinky? I know I could skin them, but would I have to take a tomato bath. Seth

I skinned a couple a few years ago. I got the idea on how to do it from a greyhound that I had. He would jump on skunks and break their neck and they never sprayed. When you catch them in your trap shoot them behind/below the ear. If you hit the right spot they will drop and flop but not spray. After that all you have to do is avoid their scent glands while skinning them. Be VERY careful with this part. The gland is right under their tail. I accidentally cut it once and it's even worse than being sprayed.

Comment

How about giving them a swimming lesson in a barrel? That's what I was thinking of doing. Would that work?
      Seth

Comment

Though very interested in acquiring a skunk pelt, I just couldn't convince me to skin a skunk.
        Don't know how effective, but I've always heard, "freeze 'em first, then skin 'em and they won't stink!".
        Like I say! Never tried it, just "heard" it!

Comment

I've always wanted one of those Skunk hats Curly used to wear in the 3 Stooges.

Comment

From past experience, I've learned that if you shoot a skunk through the spine, it will paralyze them, and they won't be able to spray you.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad