Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is better for coyotes Remington 700 .243win or Howa hogue .223rem. i will be hunting cornfields in Illinois so my farthest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is better for coyotes Remington 700 .243win or Howa hogue .223rem. i will be hunting cornfields in Illinois so my farthest

what is better for coyotes Remington 700 .243win or Howa hogue .223rem. i will be hunting cornfields in Illinois so my farthest shot will be about 300 or 400 yards

My pick would be the .243 Win 58Gr.V-MAX or 75Gr.HP They fall-down like a Bag full of 10# hammers.

Comment

I would also go with the .243. Go Get Em!
      Seth

Comment

bring the .243. your .243 and my .223 will be a good combination. don't forget the shotgun. I am looking forward to Friday.

Comment

.243 will buck the wind much better and would be my pick.

Comment

.243 for the long shots

Comment

The one you can shoot the best.

Comment

By all means the .243. First off, the .223 is limited to about 3400 fps with a 50g V-Max while a 58g V-Max in a .243 will hit 3800 fps. You will notice the significant difference in speed in smaller holdovers and you won't have to worry about wind nearly as much. You will be able to aim right where you want to hit on most running coyotes.

Secondly, the .223 is limited to about 300 yards max for coyotes if you shoot the 50g bullet. You can shoot bigger bullets and get more range but then you lose so much speed, it is not nearly as effective. The bullet will sure travel further than that for long range target shooting but will just cripple those big Illinois coyotes beyond about 250-300 yards.

I highly recommend the 58g V-Max .243 bullet for coyotes. Now if you had said AR-15 Varminter .223 vs any bolt .243, I would have said take the AR. It is so deadly on coyotes because of the rapid follow up shot and ability to get several in a pack when you call. It limits your range but you tend to come home with more coyotes in the long run.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad