Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

im wanting to start rabbit hunting this fall/winter. never have before and i have no dogs or anything like that. im just fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im wanting to start rabbit hunting this fall/winter. never have before and i have no dogs or anything like that. im just fishing

im wanting to start rabbit hunting this fall/winter. never have before and i have no dogs or anything like that. im just fishing for information on what the best equipment to use, what kind of terrain to look at and what good techniques are for hunting rabbits alone.

Rabbit hunting is excellent for honing your hunting skills and for putting some good fare on the table. You can use a .22 or a shotgun depending on terrain and technique. If you are after food, the shotgun is the only way to go. Rabbits like THICK brush. You will find them around brush piles and real heavy thickets. One technique is to wander through the woods with a shotgun scaring them up. Walk in and along the really thick stuff, taking time to stop every minute or so. Kick brush piles along the way. Watch for them darting for cover and take a very quick shot when you get the chance. You will find that if you don't get a good shot off in about a 1/2 second you won't get a shot... so stay prepared. It may be necessary to put the gun to your shoulder and point through a shooting lane in the thickets before you even see the rabbit. Another technique is to walk much slower through the woods, staying on high enough ground to be able to survey a larger area. Sit in one spot for 10 minutes or so and use a .22 to pick off rabbits as they present themselves. This technique works best if you do it over areas known to have heavy rabbit populations. For example, you may have a thick timber bording an alphalpha field and in the evening, the rabbits come out to feed. In this situation, get there early, perch in a good vantage point and pick them off as they stray out into the field. You can shoot them out to 100 yards with a good .22. I hope this helps and have fun.

Comment

get a partner and jump on brush pile

Comment

DakotaMan gave you pretty much all you need to know on this . i hunt snow shoe hares not cotton tails where i live with dogs and a 22 pistol .i would tell you if you can ever get a chance to try hunting rabbits with a good beagle take it. just listening to the dog or dogs work is awesome, nothing like a hound's music in the swamp !

Comment

Just walk along fences i even do it with my bb gun if i want a challenge take the scope off and shoot on teh fly with open sights with a bb gun it takes practice but it is a great feeling when you get one.

Comment

Get your self a pair of ggod briar pants and a shotgun, my preference is a 20 gauge. I like a one ounce load #5 shot.

Work fence rows, brush piles and old farm steads stomping abnd kicking brush. A partner will help make you efforts more productive.

Comment

I recently found out I don't need a gun for rabbit hunting. I have a Miniature Pincher who loves it.

Comment

When I go for rabbit, I use a 12 ga. 1 1/2 oz of shot and 6 shot.

Comment

Use a shotgun with lead shot at least 6 or greater. If you want to use a .22 rifle, thats most likely cheaper and easier to use. Rabbits love thick brush, woodpiles, briars, etc. Walk through this, and scare them up. Rabbit hunting is one of the few types of hunting you can make noise in. The rabbits will run if you are close enough to them.

Comment

We hunt snowshoe hares here and their great eating. My brother uses a pump 410 shotgun and I use an old single bbl of the same gauge. We both prefer #4 shot. We hunt with beagles and you can't possibly have a better time. If you have the chance to try this type of hunting don't pass it up! Snowshoes like heavy low ground cover and will some times let you walk by as they remain motionless. I've had great success with bow hunting snowshoes after their coat has turned white but the snow hasn't come yet. They will still try to remain motionless but they stand out like a sore thumb. When your'e hunting with dogs I always try to get to the area where the dogs start the chase. Snowshoes will usually run in reasonable small circles so they probably will return to where you start them and offer a good shot. Hope you pick up this style of hunting. You'll enjoy it!

Comment

If there's snow on the ground, wait until 10am or close to the warmest point in the day to go out. They will be out feeding and will likely head to a brush pile when you approach. Jump on that pile and get ready. Any shotgun will work, I like a .22 for a bit more challenge and a bit more non-destroyed meat.

Comment

where i hunt we have huge briar patches on this one hillside near a small woodlot. and i mean like an acre or more of almost nothing but briars. ive seen rabbit hunters out there alot with dogs but in 2 years ive only actually seen one rabbit there. lots of evidence of rabbits though. i was gonna use a 22 also for two reasons, one i dont own a shotgun and two i want as much meat off those things as possible.

Comment

Agreed with DakotaMan and + 1 for myou sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad