Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the trappers out there...what is your all time favorite bait for cage-trapping leery coons? My go to baits are proving to be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the trappers out there...what is your all time favorite bait for cage-trapping leery coons? My go to baits are proving to be

For the trappers out there...what is your all time favorite bait for cage-trapping leery coons? My go to baits are proving to be a little ineffective here lately...looking for a new secret weapon?

Try some sardines.

Comment

I have had good success with fresh peaches cut in half, suspended on a hook from the ceiling of the trap.

Comment

Meat, fish, corn, apples, donuts, horse feed, potatoes, sugar beets, bird seed or just about anything else that we eat.
        Raccoons are the Garbage Disposals of the forest.

Check out these two coons brave enough to eat right in front of a black bear.

www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?pnid=1001493684#1001493684

Comment

I sometime will take an ear of corn peel back the husk,do not take off rub with honey then push back the husk and burn on the grill.

Comment

Cat food---can or dry

Comment

Take a basic deer food block 25 or 50 lbs. break it into pieces and drill 1/2 inch holes in it. Fill the holes with molasses and watch them come running. I discovered it while feeding deer before season. I used it trapping last year and it works like magic.

Comment

canned dog food,you usually can smell the stuff 50 yards away!

Comment

Marshmallows with a little honey for an attractant. Won't catch housecats like some of the above mentioned. Coons have a sweet tooth.

Comment

Any of those mentioned above will get a coon to take a look. If you want to bring them from a couple hundred yards and you are very serious about catching a coon, you need to wet a cotton ball with a few drops of "Coon Kicker".

You can buy it online and that is by far the best I have ever seen. It smells like a concoction of fish/crab/crayfish that they just can't resist and they come from a long ways to check it out. If you are serious about catching coons, put the cotton ball in the bottom of a "Coon Cuff" trap. If you don't get a coon with that, there are no coons around.

Comment

I prefer to make my own bait . Usually a mix of fish and another out of fruits and stuff. Keeping a variety out helps me know what they're more hungry for.

Comment

go to your local feed store and pick up some sweet feed for livestock the molasses in it drive the critters crazy, in fact I'm in the process of posting a picture of some coons at my deer feeder, also get some Sardines in Louisiana Hot Sauce. For some reason they love spicy stuff.

Comment

go to your local feed store and pick up some sweet feed for livestock the molasses in it drive the critters crazy, in fact I'm in the process of posting a picture of some coons at my deer feeder, also get some Sardines in Louisiana Hot Sauce. For some reason they love spicy stuff.

Comment

I take the fat from fleshing my catches and mix it with powerbait. I've caught somwhere around 30 coon with this mix.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad