Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My uncle and I are considering going hog hunting and I am wondering what I should use. He has his .270 and I am on the fence abo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Ellis
    replied
    Yall must b a bunch of city folk. Hogs r tuff but as stated above they ain't bullet proof. Now somebody who has only killed 3 or 7 hogs has no need in even commenting on this. I've caught and killed hundreds and never have I had one charge me ready to kill me they try and get away from u. Yes they do sometimes hurt people but only bc they r in the way of their path. I've killed em with any caliber. Grow some and stick it with a knife anybody can hide behind a tree or blind and shoot a hog or as yall say " wild boar" their is no excitement in that

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    With all due respect to those who have hunted hogs all their life and had them act like farm pigs, I must say that my experience has been somewhat different.

Two of the seven big boars I have participated in taking charged us shooters from about 100 yards away. They were "provoked" by tracking dogs and us getting too close. There were no "catch" dogs used to grab their ears and tails to incapacitate them. I felt fortunate that no one was killed in these two attacks although one dog was cut two inches deep all across his chest within two feet of me and may not have survived.

I put three .44 slugs through that beast during two charges and one angry standoff (one between the eyes, one through the diaphragm side-to-side and one through the heart side-to-side) and he gave no indication of being hit with any of them although he fell over dead about 20 seconds after being shot through the heart.

In the third incident a totally unprovoked 350+ pound boar saw us from about 200 yards away as we moved down a logging trail. It ran to the top of a nearby rise and bared its tusks and growled like a lion. We marveled at the sight and powerful sound. It then charged the three of us at full speed from about 200 yards away. We could see the palmettos shaking but couldn't see the hog because of dense cover. He was closing at about 45 mph or at least faster than a deer can run. My 12 year old companion was the first to get a visual on the hog at about 15 yards. He let loose with a 12 gauge slug catching the boar just under the chin. The boar slid right up to his feet before stopping. I was backing him up with my .44 but had no need to shoot although I never saw him until he was within five yards and sliding. I know my .44 would never have stopped him at such close range because it just doesn't have that much energy.

I personally have seen a .357 Mag slug stop cold with about 1/8 inch penetration in the shield of a 350 lb boar. Our guide swore on a stack of bibles that he has witnessed the same thing with a 130g .270 bullet and many others. I believe him and hunt accordingly. They don't all charge unprovoked but it can happen. When it does happen, I guarantee you won't feel any more endangered by a lion charge. You will realize that it is a life and death situation.

I will say that I'd personally rather have the hog charging though because they seem to prefer to slash with their razor tusks and then run away quickly for another charge. However, I don't count on that either. If you are hunting them from the ground, be prepared and be careful.

Leave a comment:

• .30-06Hunter
    replied
    The boar hunts I did we're with a guide service and one of the boar ran toward he and I he simply yelled at it and kicked it with the flat part of foot. I don't think this was a true charge but merely trying to escape. I asked him about it and he said if you stay to the side and yell most times they will go by you unless they are cornered or have little ones nearby. They are an interesting animal to hunt.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Dran,
    Take a look at the pig on the front page.
    I hunted them in the middle east. A guy in the brush had one come running at him and slit his calf on the way by. Not sure but I think he got off several shots of 00 buck and it did not phase it. I was the medic on the scene, got him to the Hospital where he got an infection and almost lost his leg.
    My father was a semi truck driver and he always said that was one thing he did not want to hit because of the damage it could do to the lines under the truck.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    "Boar Hunter" magazine used to feature articles about hunting hogs with a pack of dogs and a long knife. I think they went out of business when all of their readers died:-)

Leave a comment:

• DranDran
    replied
    My 12 gauge is chambered for 2.75" shells with a full choke. I put slugs through it for deer

Leave a comment:

• DranDran
    replied
    My 12 gauge is chambered for 2.75" shells with a full choke. I put slugs through it for deer

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I've taken more than one with a .22 Hornet!

I saw on another blog where a gent "SAW" a boar near his stand! Now he won't stay until dark for fear of crossing the PIG!

Look guys! A feral hog is due the respect ANY wild animal deserves!
    People have been killed by deer, elk, moose, bison...all sorts of "hoofed" game.
    Give a hog the same respect you'd give a deer! They're NOT out to hunt you down like a starving polar bear!

Poor man's "grizzly" my left hind leg!

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    Dakota Man is correct in that all pigs can be taken down with a 22LR if you can put it in the right spot.

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    Both the .270 and 12 gauge will work. I prefer 30 caliber typically using .308 or 30-06. My preferred hog rifle is a 30-06 with iron sights. I use 180 grain core locks or if expecting big boars I'll go with a 200 grain handload.

Leave a comment:

• mike0714
    replied
    hold the phone here. all of the cartridges and shot he mentioned will take hogs. As i have said many of times on this forum the best pig gun is not about its power but about where you will be hunting a 45/70 is not a rolling hills or farm gun and a .338 is not a forest or scrub gun. They each have different pluses and negatives. the 44 mag is accurate, easy to shoot, and quick to reload. yet it is not the most powerful. the key is to use a heavy premium bullet that is bonded or a jsp. they will have the energy and structural density to do the job most effectively. This is a gun best suited for mixed woods and open scrub. A shot gun loaded candy cane is great because it gives you the ability to put down a big boar fast and at close range. I would recommend this for tight woods or scrub where everything will be with in 50 yards and you may corner a pig or get between a sow and her piglets. The 7.62x54R is your open country gun rolling hills and farm fields. If It allows you to take longer shots and still have the accuracy and knockdown power required to do so effectively. Pick you gun and aim small. best of luck mike

Leave a comment:

• .30-06Hunter
    replied
    I have killed three boars. Two were killed with a .30-30 and one with a .45/70. Both did the job but it was amazing to see when I shot one with the .45/70 it hit him just to the side of head as he was facing me it traveled through his chest and exited around it's midsection on it's underside it folded for a second then ran as if nothing happened. This boar ran about 30 yards still being chased by dogs then stood there challenging the dogs for about 10 seconds before falling over. Both I shot with the .30-30 were broadside shots that had complete pass through. Both of those still ran about 50 yards. I have seen one shot with a .44 mag rifle and it had complete pass through and the boar ran about the same distance as mine. They are tough animals but will fall to a deer caliber gun with a shot to the vitals. They do have a thick armor like plate of cartilage type material around the neck and shoulders that needs to be avoided. As far as the 7.62x54R it would do the job fine as the power is between a .308 and a .30-06. I would want a gun that I could cycle faster than a Mosin though.

Leave a comment:

• M.A.T
    replied
    Use a shotgun with slugs. Phil Bourjaily's latest shotgun article was about tactical shotguns and his "Gear Tip" was about Lightfield slugs. These 12 guage, 3.5 in. slugs are 1 3/8 of an ounce and travel at a muzzle velocity of 1890 fps and generate 4759 ft-lbs of energy at muzzle putting it on par with a .458 Win Mag. That will stop a piggie.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Hogs are tough, but they AIN'T bulletproof!
    Any deer capable cartridge (.243 and up) is perfectly capable of taking ferals.
    Don't know what kinda hogs you guys hunt, but I've taken plenty with plain ol' 2.75" high velocity number 1 buck.
    Hogs won't "charge" unless provoked or cornered. Even then, they're likely just trying to escape.
    If you REALLY want a hog to "charge" with blood in their eye? Get between a sow and her piglets! THAT, will get you hurt!
    I've been dealing with ferals since the mid 60's and trapped hogs for several years.
    They're big, nasty, ugly and tough, but they ain't bulletproof!

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Please DON'T use BuckShot! I live in a HOG State Fl. Use Slugs. Brenneke,Rem CopperSolid Sabot, they are the best Hog Stoppers by far.
    The 44Magnum would be my 2Nd Pick~

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad