Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My uncle and I are considering going hog hunting and I am wondering what I should use. He has his .270 and I am on the fence abo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've taken more than one with a .22 Hornet!

I saw on another blog where a gent "SAW" a boar near his stand! Now he won't stay until dark for fear of crossing the PIG!

Look guys! A feral hog is due the respect ANY wild animal deserves!
    People have been killed by deer, elk, moose, bison...all sorts of "hoofed" game.
    Give a hog the same respect you'd give a deer! They're NOT out to hunt you down like a starving polar bear!

Poor man's "grizzly" my left hind leg!

Comment

My 12 gauge is chambered for 2.75" shells with a full choke. I put slugs through it for deer

Comment

My 12 gauge is chambered for 2.75" shells with a full choke. I put slugs through it for deer

Comment

"Boar Hunter" magazine used to feature articles about hunting hogs with a pack of dogs and a long knife. I think they went out of business when all of their readers died:-)

Comment

Dran,
            Take a look at the pig on the front page.
            I hunted them in the middle east. A guy in the brush had one come running at him and slit his calf on the way by. Not sure but I think he got off several shots of 00 buck and it did not phase it. I was the medic on the scene, got him to the Hospital where he got an infection and almost lost his leg.
            My father was a semi truck driver and he always said that was one thing he did not want to hit because of the damage it could do to the lines under the truck.

Comment

The boar hunts I did we're with a guide service and one of the boar ran toward he and I he simply yelled at it and kicked it with the flat part of foot. I don't think this was a true charge but merely trying to escape. I asked him about it and he said if you stay to the side and yell most times they will go by you unless they are cornered or have little ones nearby. They are an interesting animal to hunt.

Comment

With all due respect to those who have hunted hogs all their life and had them act like farm pigs, I must say that my experience has been somewhat different.

Two of the seven big boars I have participated in taking charged us shooters from about 100 yards away. They were "provoked" by tracking dogs and us getting too close. There were no "catch" dogs used to grab their ears and tails to incapacitate them. I felt fortunate that no one was killed in these two attacks although one dog was cut two inches deep all across his chest within two feet of me and may not have survived.

I put three .44 slugs through that beast during two charges and one angry standoff (one between the eyes, one through the diaphragm side-to-side and one through the heart side-to-side) and he gave no indication of being hit with any of them although he fell over dead about 20 seconds after being shot through the heart.

In the third incident a totally unprovoked 350+ pound boar saw us from about 200 yards away as we moved down a logging trail. It ran to the top of a nearby rise and bared its tusks and growled like a lion. We marveled at the sight and powerful sound. It then charged the three of us at full speed from about 200 yards away. We could see the palmettos shaking but couldn't see the hog because of dense cover. He was closing at about 45 mph or at least faster than a deer can run. My 12 year old companion was the first to get a visual on the hog at about 15 yards. He let loose with a 12 gauge slug catching the boar just under the chin. The boar slid right up to his feet before stopping. I was backing him up with my .44 but had no need to shoot although I never saw him until he was within five yards and sliding. I know my .44 would never have stopped him at such close range because it just doesn't have that much energy.

I personally have seen a .357 Mag slug stop cold with about 1/8 inch penetration in the shield of a 350 lb boar. Our guide swore on a stack of bibles that he has witnessed the same thing with a 130g .270 bullet and many others. I believe him and hunt accordingly. They don't all charge unprovoked but it can happen. When it does happen, I guarantee you won't feel any more endangered by a lion charge. You will realize that it is a life and death situation.

I will say that I'd personally rather have the hog charging though because they seem to prefer to slash with their razor tusks and then run away quickly for another charge. However, I don't count on that either. If you are hunting them from the ground, be prepared and be careful.

Comment

Yall must b a bunch of city folk. Hogs r tuff but as stated above they ain't bullet proof. Now somebody who has only killed 3 or 7 hogs has no need in even commenting on this. I've caught and killed hundreds and never have I had one charge me ready to kill me they try and get away from u. Yes they do sometimes hurt people but only bc they r in the way of their path. I've killed em with any caliber. Grow some and stick it with a knife anybody can hide behind a tree or blind and shoot a hog or as yall say " wild boar" their is no excitement in that

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to South Dakota leads the way.
                    by PigHunter
                    There you go again, assuming. There wasn't widespread testing for Covid in February 2020. But I've had six negative tests over the last 7 months, done...
                    Today, 01:32 AM
                  • South Dakota leads the way.
                    by labrador12
                    South Dakota didn't lock down. South Dakota continued with open schools. South Dakota even held the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. South Dakota maintained...
                    02-27-2021, 07:10 PM
                    by 99explorer
                    I am assuming that you never tested positive for the virus, which is a flaw in your analysis.
                    Today, 01:20 AM
                    by PigHunter
                    You assume too much about the motives of others. Maybe you should just keep quiet so people wouldn't see you as an idiot....
                    Today, 01:11 AM
                    by 99explorer
                    Maybe you should wear a sign around your neck so people would see you as the free-running stallion as you see yourself.
                    Today, 01:01 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X