Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am looking for a predator gun. I would probably use it for mostly coyotes. Some of the calibers I was looking at was the 22-25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brenden S Richey
    replied
    Thanks for all of your responses! I think I am going with the Thomson Center Venture All-Weather in 22-250!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Try this link. Play video to see wind drift, wnergy and trajectory comparisons. If this does not work just google .17WSM.

www.gunsamerica.com%2Fblog%2Fwinchester-ammunition-17-super-magnum-rimfire-17wsm-shot-show-2013%2F&width=131&height=88&thumbUrl=http%3A%2F%2F images-partners-tbn.google.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcSYGzoZeo SR5x4z0XV5Xn5FqgutPeQVzbS1b0gwY3SRez1jipETf4jvMiMk &imgWidth=969&imgHeight=654&imgSize=81188&imgTitle =.17WSM

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    for strictly a varmint gun, the .22-250 is a great choice.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    There isn't enough difference in those calibers that you would miss with one and hit with the other.
    Or kill with one and wound with the other.
    JMO.

Leave a comment:

• Brenden S Richey
    replied
    The reason I haven't thought about the 17WSM is because I already have a 17HMR, but, is it a lot more powerful?

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    MAT,
    The .257 Roberts was introduced in the 1930's, speed was not the end all in those days, thus the drop off in trajectory. The .250-300 Savage was a little earlier and the first to crack 3,000fps. 2,000fps was still considered fast. Heck, the highway speed limit in a lot of places was 50mph and dropped 45mph at night.LOL

Leave a comment:

• M.A.T
    replied
    I think the reason people haven't said anything about the .257 Roberts is because most people prefer the lighter, faster cartridges ie. .243 Win., 22-250, .204 Ruger, etc. And wind resistance for the .243 Win, .257 Roberts, and .22-250 are all the same out to at least 500 yds, trajectory on them is 8.3 in. for the .204 Ruger, the .223 Rem. is 11 in., the 22-250 is 7.7 in., the .243 Win. 6.6 in., and lastly the .257 Roberts is 13.9 all trajestories are at 300 yds with 100 yd zeroes.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Brendon,
    A guy in the Adirondacks followed a bear out of town and shot it with one shot from a .257 Roberts. A little more power than what is needed for varmints. He full size mounted it standing and I have of picture of me standing in front of it - I am 6'2 and the bear towers over me. The reason I am trying the Savage B Mag .17WSM is shooting groundhogs, the less report you have, the sooner the hogs come back out of their holes. It is only 4 1/2 lbs so, with a shooting stick will be a good walking around rig. I have a heavy barrel Rem 700 in 22-250, but you don't walk far with that one. I also have a .223. The .17WSM is an experiment for hogs and coyotes - I will let others know how it works out.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    I have never had a complaint from a single one of the many coyotes taken with that round.

Leave a comment:

• Brenden S Richey
    replied
    I am leaning towards the 22-250, but does it have much wind resistance?

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    The big ram I took with the Ackley, lunged forward 30 or 40 feet and fell dead. Shot clear through both shoulders. A big exit wound.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Nothing against the 257 Roberts, had one as a young man. killed deer and coyotes with it. Currently, own a 257 Ackley Improved with which have taken all kinds of animals , including my best Rocky Mountain Sheep. My oldest Granddaughter is happily using it.

Leave a comment:

• Brenden S Richey
    replied
    Thanks for the responses guys! But, no one has anything to say about the 257 roberts? This caliber doesn't need to double as a deer rifle too, just for yotes and other predators.

Leave a comment:

• .30-06Hunter
    replied
    Another school of thought is if you are a deer hunter just use what you hunt deer with. This will give you extra practice with your deer rifle and if you can hit a coyote which is usually moving you can sure hit a deer. I have shot coyote with my .30-06 when they have been unlucky enough to walk up on my stand.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    If you already own a .30-06 rifle,you can use Remington 55-grain Accelerator ammunition, and you wouldn't need to buy a dedicated predator rifle.
    Of course, that would be no fun if you are aching to buy some new hardware.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad