Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am looking for a predator gun. I would probably use it for mostly coyotes. Some of the calibers I was looking at was the 22-25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking for a predator gun. I would probably use it for mostly coyotes. Some of the calibers I was looking at was the 22-25

I am looking for a predator gun. I would probably use it for mostly coyotes. Some of the calibers I was looking at was the 22-250, 204 ruger, .223, 243, and the 257 roberts (I was looking at the 257 Wby but ammo is expensive). What would be your guys recommendations? If I missed any calibers, please leave some suggestions.

JMO~~ the .260 Remington shoots as well as the 22-250 and its a deer taker.

Comment

I just bought the Savage B Mag in .17WSM and intend to use it for groundhogs and coyotes. Winchester has made great claims as to the effectiveness of the caliber, so I will see. Have not had a chance to use it yet but there are YouTube video's of the B Mag in action.

Comment

I have found both the 22-250 and the 25-06 hard to beat for predators

Comment

22-250 is one of my favorite rounds. I have two, one that is a walking varminter and the other has a heavy bull barrel that I shoot off of bags or a bipod. Both are very accurate; the walking varminter has a slow twist barrel (1:14) that I shoot light bullets in (45- 60 grains), the other has a fast twist (1:9) that I can shoot as high as 75 grain bullets. Ole Wiley just don't stand a chance! My longest shot on game was a coyote with a .240 Weatherby. It practically undressed him.

Comment

Ditto Happy Myles. The .22-250 and the .25-06 are both excellent choices, and even used for whitetail deer with great success. I personally feel the .22-250 is just a bit light for deer, but can not argue with success. The .243 Winchester would be a good choice for what you want, also.

Comment

.22-250 or .223 for vermin. I shoot at Wile E. with whatever is in my hand at the moment.

Comment

Hard to beat the .22-250 for varminting.
                The .223 is also an excellent varmint round. I think I'd prefer the .223 in something other than an AR, such as bolt or single shot.
                A .22 Hornet is very good for varmints and I've tsken quite a few 'yotes and a bobcat woth mine. It just doesn't have alot of "range".

Comment

Go with the .243 recoil is very light and it will do a number on a coyote. Plus you can use it for a great deer and antelope rifle. The .243 does a good job of bucking the wind on a long shot.

Comment

If you already own a .30-06 rifle,you can use Remington 55-grain Accelerator ammunition, and you wouldn't need to buy a dedicated predator rifle.
                    Of course, that would be no fun if you are aching to buy some new hardware.

Comment

Another school of thought is if you are a deer hunter just use what you hunt deer with. This will give you extra practice with your deer rifle and if you can hit a coyote which is usually moving you can sure hit a deer. I have shot coyote with my .30-06 when they have been unlucky enough to walk up on my stand.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys! But, no one has anything to say about the 257 roberts? This caliber doesn't need to double as a deer rifle too, just for yotes and other predators.

Comment

Nothing against the 257 Roberts, had one as a young man. killed deer and coyotes with it. Currently, own a 257 Ackley Improved with which have taken all kinds of animals , including my best Rocky Mountain Sheep. My oldest Granddaughter is happily using it.

Comment

The big ram I took with the Ackley, lunged forward 30 or 40 feet and fell dead. Shot clear through both shoulders. A big exit wound.

Comment

I am leaning towards the 22-250, but does it have much wind resistance?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad