Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have recently taken up squirrel hunting. The land I hunt isnt terribly big. I have tried to avoid areas with other hunters so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have recently taken up squirrel hunting. The land I hunt isnt terribly big. I have tried to avoid areas with other hunters so

I have recently taken up squirrel hunting. The land I hunt isnt terribly big. I have tried to avoid areas with other hunters so I could stay out of their way, but with the Illinois archery season opening today that will be difficult. Could I get a few tips in etiquette so I can still enjoy my hunt without ruining anyone else's deer hunt?

Most deer hunting is done at daybreak and dusk. I have never hunted squirrels but if you can limit your hunting for them to midday, that should keep you out of the deer hunters' hair.

Comment

It is going to be almost impossible not to 'bump' into an archer. If you do, move a safe distance away from his stand. If you are using a rifle, be absolutely sure of your backstop. A shotgun will definitely interfere with the archers.
      Also, you might hunt weekdays as weekends may have even more hunters.

Comment

Squirrels like deer are also more active at dawn and dusk. They will move around during the day but not as much. If the area is small you are probably going to affect an archery hunter unless you are a good distance from where they are. You might want to go scouting for deer stands(with your gun of course in case a squirrel pops out) if the area is that small so you know where to avoid.

Comment

It's nice of you to consider the archers and I commend you! I suspect most archers will consider you an asset during mid-day (if they are still hunting at that time) as you may move bedding deer around a little. Squirrel hunters don't bother them much. As a matter of fact, while archery hunting, I've seen deer actually follow them a bit to observe what they are doing.

First I suggest you be very careful about what is in the tree you are shooting toward. Archers sit up in trees and wear camo... check carefully to avoid bagging an archer. That has always been my biggest concern. Secondly, keep moving. Don't camp in an area too long since there may be an archer nearby and you will spoil his setup if you stay too long. Finally, avoid walking on deer trails if you can because they will shy from your foot scent and perhaps spoil an archer's setup downline on the trail.

Comment

You may find (I did) that many landowners may welcome you if you are just after squirrels. There's not too many of us anymore. Don't be afraid to ask, because many of these folks only use their land for shotgun/rifle deer hunting, which by then, you should be out of there until winter.It's nice that you are considering the archer, I hope they show the same to you.

Comment

I try to avoid area near tougher cover as a bow hunter I try to hunt close to bedding area in the tougher areas so if you hunt the more open woods you will never bump into me. Just a thought.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                by PigHunter
                Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
                Today, 06:44 PM
              • How do you fly ?
                by jhjimbo
                Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                Today, 04:18 PM
              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                by PigHunter
                Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                Today, 06:35 PM
              • Handgun Laser Sights
                by PigHunter
                On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                by PigHunter
                Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X