Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squirrel season has started here in Wisconsin, but it has still been pretty warm. Does the temperature need to drop to a certain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squirrel season has started here in Wisconsin, but it has still been pretty warm. Does the temperature need to drop to a certain

Squirrel season has started here in Wisconsin, but it has still been pretty warm. Does the temperature need to drop to a certain point before the meat is safe to eat?

Living in Florida Most all Small Game Hunters wait for the First "Good" Frost before Squirrel & Rabbit Hunting.just saying

Comment

Whut tree said.

Primarily cuzza subcutaneous insect larvae like Wolves.

Butt Ah dunno...

Mebbe the Wolves wood be good deep-fried.

Comment

Like Tree said, less chance for fleas and ticks after freeze.

Comment

I dont here in Ga. Your going to cook the meat before you eat it anyway.

Comment

There was a program on Animal Channel how a little girl was poking at a dead squirrel and contracted Bubonic Plaque. Almost died. Bitten by an infected flea. They said the area infected is mostly in the Southwest.

Comment

make that Plague

Comment

To answer your question, there are various reasons why to wait for a particular time to hunt squirrel in Wisconsin. I've lived in Wisconsin all of my life. At a young age, I was taught small game hunting from my Father & Grand-Father. Their reasons for waiting until after the 3rd killing frost is due to ticks, fleas, and mosquitoes. It is now November 2nd, and here at the South-Central part of WI, we have had more than 3 killing frosts. By now all fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes are dead. Which is a good thing because, an individual does not have to worry about having fleas or ticks going up their arm while skinning a squirrel. Plus, mosquitoes will not be biting you while hunting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad