Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to skin a squirrel?

how to skin a squirrel?

first you have to soak it with a hose then make a cut across the middle of its back. Insert your fingers into the cut and pull this will stretch the cut around to the stomach. Just keep pulling the skin out over the legs and head then cut off the head and legs. Your done!

Comment

There are two methods that I've used. The first is to simply cut through the hide mid back, grasp the 2 sides of the incision, one side in each hand and pull in seperate directions. This one is easy if you have a buddy or you have fairly substantial forearms.

The second is the method I use when I can't find a friend to help out. Using a sharp knife make an incision under the tail at its base. You have to feel out the space between the last two tail vertebra and cut through carefully to the hide, NOT through it. The tail and the flap of hide you started becomes a pull tab of sorts. Next place the squirrel back down on a hard surface with its head facing away from you. Step on the tail right up to the base, grasp the hind legs and pull up slowly and carefully. If the tail braks off, use method one. With a little practice method 2 becomes very easy.

There are also assorted squirrel skinning rigs and jigs on the internet...

Comment

Beekeeper's second method is the best I've found, used it for a long time.

Comment

My dad showed me the beekeeper method when i was a kid in the 1950's. You will get less hair on the meat that way.

Comment

go to my photos [under my user name] and you get an illustration ... it's from an old copy of Joy of Cooking!

Beekeeper tips are good. Another tip: put the tail under your shoe where you put a lot of weight... not under your toes!

Comment

22-250 does a good job!

Comment

I'd skin it like a deer. Start with the belly, then down the insides of the legs and finally over the back. Cut off the head and tail when you get to them.

Comment

Good ideas Beekeeper. I guess since I case skinned a lot of mink and muskrat, I use the same technique on squirrels. With this technique, you cut across the rear end of the squirrel from back foot all the way across to the base of the tail and on to the other back foot. Open the incision a little and cut around the feet and tail. (You can keep the tail on the hide if you want by putting a clothes pin around the tail bone base and pulling the clothes pin up toward the tip of the tail. This will cause the tail skin to pop away from the bone staying in one piece). Then loosen the skin all around the foot-to-foot incision and using the tail piece as a pull tab, pull the hide toward the head kind of like pulling a tee shirt off a child. Pull the front legs out of the hide cutting at the feet as you pass them and cut the head off at the neck.

Comment

Beekeeper beat me to it, that was how I was taught...

Comment

get a sharp knife and start cuting.

Comment

cut down the trees and watch them run

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad