Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So my model 12 has a fixed full choke,and my aunt was selling ammo that her uncle gave her after her other uncle passed. I got 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my model 12 has a fixed full choke,and my aunt was selling ammo that her uncle gave her after her other uncle passed. I got 3

So my model 12 has a fixed full choke,and my aunt was selling ammo that her uncle gave her after her other uncle passed. I got 3 boxes of 2 3/4 inch game loads w #6 shot, would that be a good combo for rabbits/squirrels? All in all I got 3 boxes of game load, an ammo can and a box of slugs for $35 good deal?

Yes, and YES!

Comment

Full might be tight for bunnies, but not for squirrels. I like to use a 20 gauge w/full on squirrels, I try to put the bead on the nose and catch him on the edge of the pattern. Still, pattern your gun at 20-25 yards and at 40 yards to see how tight. Tons of game have been brought to the table with the ''wrong'' choke, people used what they had and made it work. Do NOT fire steel shot out of that American classic. You can also get spreader loads when you want a more open pattern in a tight choked gun, many folks do and it keeps a lot of fine older full choke guns still in the woods instead of the closet. Yes, it sounds like a good deal for everybody.

Comment

Depends on the ammo box.

Ah got 20mm Ammo boxes for $20 ea. at a gun show and they wz in perfect condition.

Butt yore aunt should've given ye that stuff.

Comment

Dran.
          Sounds like a nice model 12. I would not shoot the slugs through it, or if I did they would be rifled slugs.
          For the small game, do not take any close shots and like Ithaca says, try to catch them on the edge of the pattern or there will be nothing left.
          Good hunting

Comment

The shells I got are: Federal Hi-Shok Hollow point slugs, Remington Mohawk Long Range, Winchester Super X Game Loads and Sears Extra Long Range Shells. I know not to put steel through it, I ALMOST threaded it for choke tubes. She's not really my aunt anymore she is actually my uncle's ex wife but she was my aunt for so long it's kind of hard to call her something else. By the way, what would you say if I got the Model 12 for mowing a lawn?

Comment

Perfect for squirrels and bunnies. The model 12 is a great gun and is a worthy prize for mowing lawns... enjoy. I would not mess with the choke; just learn how to aim and shoot it. The full choke gives you extra range when shooting lead shot.

Comment

I would say outstanding, and that I'm d--mn near almost jealous.

Comment

If those boxes of shells arein good shape and holding all 25 original loads, might have some collector value. But I dont collect the things and would enjoy an afternoon out here in S.D. walking up some pheasants with that gun and shells for your uncles memory.

Comment

@franchi, thanks. He was on her side actually so no relation, she was married to my mom's brother. I plan on taking afield the first weekend of october how many shells should I fire to pattern it?

Comment

Personally, ive never patterned a shot gun , but from what ive read 1 or 2 should do it.

Comment

A full choke is a little much for rabbits but it should be great for squirrels. I use a model 37 featherweight in 20 gauge and have killed rabbits, squirrels, pheasants, grouse, and doves with it. It works great for all of those as long as you make a good shot and shoot the right loads out of it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How much is too much?
                          by DakotaMan
                          WOW! Do you mind if I frame that for my shop Red? That is the absolutely best answer I've ever heard on this mystery question. You've got to get the bullet...
                          Today, 01:23 PM
                        • How much is too much?
                          by FirstBubba
                          There is no doubt that a .30-06 Spgfld is more than adequate to actually slay a whitetail.

A lot of newbies come here and ask, "What...
                          Yesterday, 09:40 AM
                        • Reply to 30 06 bullets
                          by Pmacc60
                          Great and most important point made here CRM3006!. My rifle loved the 165 gr Nos partitions . It wouldn’t shoot 150’s at all so that’s what I use....
                          Today, 01:17 PM
                        • 30 06 bullets
                          by Cobey alvarez
                          What 30-06 bullet is better for deer rem core lokt or Hornady American whitetail...
                          07-07-2020, 11:41 PM
                        • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                          by DakotaMan
                          Interesting and it seems like a pretty good idea. Is there any risk of hitting the trigger while feeling for the switch when you are in a panic? That...
                          Today, 01:05 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X