Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I will be going out Oct. 1st for squirrels. I am worried about fleas on the squirrels and because there is so many scavengers wh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will be going out Oct. 1st for squirrels. I am worried about fleas on the squirrels and because there is so many scavengers wh

I will be going out Oct. 1st for squirrels. I am worried about fleas on the squirrels and because there is so many scavengers where I will be hunting I don't want to leave them and grab them later. Any way of keeping the fleas off me and my clothes/bag?

Use a good repellent like premethrin, or deet. You might use some zip lock bags to store them temporally in until you can get them home, then lay them out to cool.

Comment

I've hunted squirrels for 30 years and never had a flea problem, at least one I knew about. Is this really a problem?

Comment

Ditto what Jay said.

Comment

I just wanted to be sure because of the dogs around too, my aunt has 3 and I have 2 so I was worried about having a house full of fleas

Comment

Never had a problem but use a plastic bag in your game bag if it is a problem

Comment

In Ohio fleas are a big problem with early season bushytails. I typically do not squirrel hunt until after a few frost. Some guys who hunt squirrel early season will skin and clean them directly after being shot and put them on ice.

Comment

Once the host expires, the parasites jump ship pretty quickly.
                Let your squirrels lay about 5 minutes. There will be no fleas.
                Deer lice vacate the carcass within seconds once bloodflow stops.
                No repellant necessary!

If you approach a downed game animal and it's still has parasites such at ticks, lice or fleas, the animal is not dead!

Comment

I will be using a scoped 10/22 I know I will probably be going for head shots but will I damage much meat if I hit in the heart/lungs?

Comment

First Bubba adds a bit of wisdom. Give them a minute or two or 5 and then do what buck hunter said. Skin ‘em and put them on ice.

Last couple of years the !)@#&* ticks seem a whole lot hardier and to be living through the first frost. I was in a deer stand 2 years ago and it was 30 degrees and was a Disney land for deer ticks. Constantly brushing them off. I stayed in that area cause, the ticks had to be falling off of something. I reasoned that Deer had to be using it as a corridor and the ticks we falling off the deer. But still at 30 degrees and in the 20s at night, they shouldn’t be living that long. I was amazed they were alive and moving.

Comment

I have skinned and gutted my squirrels right after shooting them so no fleas or ticks. Besides they skin a lot easier when fresh and no mess when I get home.

Comment

Carry a small butane torch and quickly scorch all the hair off the squirrel. Be careful not to cook the meat, but it's all right to singe the skin. No fleas or ticks, but it is a little pungent.

Comment

Now, can I pull your other leg?

Comment

Sure. Anyone got any recipes they like and mind sharing?

Comment

Marinate in stallion dressing then sear the outside and finish them off on the grill.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by PigHunter
                                I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                                Today, 02:16 PM
                              • Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                                Today, 12:21 PM
                              • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                                by fitch270
                                I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                                Today, 01:40 PM
                              • 300 yard .22lr
                                by jhjimbo
                                Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                                Today, 11:28 AM
                              • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                                Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X