Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a middle aged dog and was wondering if it would still be possible to train her to hunt squirrels. If so, any tips, info,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a middle aged dog and was wondering if it would still be possible to train her to hunt squirrels. If so, any tips, info,

I have a middle aged dog and was wondering if it would still be possible to train her to hunt squirrels. If so, any tips, info, or links would be greatly appreciated.

I would not hunt squirrels with a dog. Maybe birds and rabbits. Even an old dog likes to get out in the field,but no telling whatit will do. I had one slightly trained and first time she held on a pheasant real good. I took a shot and the rest of the day she was 2" behind my heel. Forgot to expose her to gunshots.

Comment

well shes not really a bird dog typed breed.shes a german shepherd lab beagle mix. Ive seen several dogs for squirrel hunting and considering how much squirrel hunting i already do, i figured i might as well

Comment

I think if the dog won't chase squirrels it's probably not a dog. Maybe a space alien slipped you a ringer. Break her to gun shots with some treats in your pocket and then take her hunting. Make sure she will come back when called. Really, all the training you need is basic obedience. And if you don't have that down already you could be in trouble.

Comment

To help with gun shyness, I think some people will put cotton balls in the dogs ears, then gradually take more and more cotton out. Others may know more about this, I just remember hearing it somewhere.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad