Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to buy a new rifle/shotgun. I have a 870 Remington 12 gauge shotgun and a savage 30-06 rifle. Use the shotgun for rabbi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are well covered with your existing two rifles. A .22LR is a great choice at this point. You might also consider a small caliber varmint/target rifle. Something like a 22-250, .220 Swift or a highly accurate AR15 (.223); these allow you to hone your accuracy skill with fun target and varmint shooting all year round. Varmint hunting for woodchucks, prairie dogs, coyotes and foxes is lots of fun too.

Comment

Sorry... "existing two guns"

Comment

Surprised not many suggestions of a Ruger 10/22. Though the whole "semi-auto" thing might turn some people off because they think it teaches bad marksmanship, but like I always tell new shooters, "Just like guns don't cause crimes, semi-auto's don't cause bad fundamentals." It's all about self-discipline. A 10/22 also has a lot of available parts that you can buy to make it fit best to you. Nothing wrong with a basic walnut stock, no frills 10/22, but the option is always on the table.

Comment

31alpha I didn't mention the Ruger 10/22 thoug it was the first gun I ever shot because I don't know where the original poster lives. Believe it or not here in California there is a bill to ban all semi-auto rifles with a detachable magazine.

Comment

I use a .22 rifle or a 20ga shotgun...both do the trick nicely.

Comment

A .22 lr with iron sights, preferably a Savage.

Comment

For rabbit a break barrel 20 gauge shotgun is the most fun I had. Easy to find and cheap

Comment

I don't see how you can beat the 870 for an all around shotgun. Maybe a semiauto, but that is just icing on the cake (says the man who owns a dozen or more shotguns). I'd look at a good .22 LR. I like the new CZ 455 American .22 LR/.17 HMR combo... very accurate, and great for crows and other varmints when you can't hunt small game. A good .22 will last a lifetime and bring joy out of proportion to its cost.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad