Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last saturday I shot trap for the first time, and also shot a .410 for the first time. I am now wanting a .410 for squirrel and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last saturday I shot trap for the first time, and also shot a .410 for the first time. I am now wanting a .410 for squirrel and

Last saturday I shot trap for the first time, and also shot a .410 for the first time. I am now wanting a .410 for squirrel and rabbit. I am wondering what shot size to use along with shell length. The one I plan on purchasing has a full choke and can use up to 3" shells

When you purchase your .410, you should purchase a few boxes of different sized shot and pattern it. This will give you an idea of what shot size your particular shotgun/choke combination likes. Like rifles, shotguns have their preference in loads, and I have found the .410 to be the most particular of the lot. I once had a double, choked full in both barrels, that did not like anything but #6 shot.

Comment

I will do that. It says 2 3/4 and 3", could I use 2 1/2" if that's all I can get at the time of purchasing it?

Comment

Most all Single,Pumps,Autos Shotguns in .410 are Full Choke, some Spanish made SxS Shotguns are Full&Full or Full& Modified most all have 3" chambers only the very early 1900's Shotguns have 2 1/2" Chamber and some NEW Hand Guns that take 21/2" & 3" 410 Ammo. As for Small Game Loads Early season Squirrels #5 or #6 shot and late season #7.5/#8 shot in 3". As for a Starter Shot Gun Mossberg Mod 500 410 Pump Shot gun at W*M $289.00....JMO
        Shoot Safe and Often Join the NRA.

Comment

I actually considered the Mossberg but decided on an H&R Single shot. I will talk to the person who gave me my winchester 12 gauge, he knows I am responsible and sells me shells while shooting trap. So I will see if he has any .410 I could buy off of him or even a .410

Comment

3", #6 shot.

Comment

My 10" T/C Contender .410 performs best with 3" #4 shot for squirrels.

Comment

Since you are targeting squirrels and rabbits, a little extra range is always a good thing. They both fall to the ground pretty easily with a one or two pellet hit... more is better but can make them more difficult to eat. My preference is definitely the 3" to get more shot weight in your pattern. I usually use #4 shot for these beasts but occasionally use #5 shot. I use #6 for quail and small birds.

Comment

Off note, I am considering a messenger style bag to carry extra gear and game. Any suggestions on one?

Comment

My go-to small game load for my .410 is a 3" 11/16 oz. load of #5

Comment

.410 are a lot better than what most people say. My favourite load is Remington 3" 5 shot.

Comment

I have a Rem.870 Express full choke 3" that is a great gun try #4 shot great for anything i've even taken turkeys with the same shot i use for squirrel

Comment

I have a Rem.870 Express full choke 3" that is a great gun try #4 shot great for anything i've even taken turkeys with the same shot i use for squirrel

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Horse Race
                            by 99explorer
                            Trump is now asking Joe Biden to drop out of the race and concede defeat.
                            Hey! With Trump, anything is possible.

https://news.yaho...
                            Today, 11:17 PM
                          • The Horse Race
                            by rock rat
                            There are lots of things making this a hard race to predict. Pollsters do their thing and mostly they show Biden up over where Clinton was at this time...
                            Today, 09:43 AM
                            by Pmacc60
                            You are for sure not a small business man , the Obama administration hurt small business and sent a tremendous amount of jobs overseas. Big business makes...
                            Today, 09:19 PM
                            by 99explorer
                            The recession officially ended in June 2009, after economic stimulus checks went out to 55 million recipients in the prior month.
                            The economy continued
                            Today, 09:03 PM
                            by Pmacc60
                            Like you all know I live near Delaware and I work there everyday ! Maybe it’s because we all know Joe Biden it I don’t see the support. Remember he...
                            Today, 08:48 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X