Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have been coyote hunting lately with not much luck. The most action I've gotten is this morning I saw a coyote like 800 yards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• obijohn
    replied
    Take the wind into account and set up so you are shooting upwind or crosswind. I'd invest in an electronic call... this can be as simple as a digital music player and amplified speaker with various distress call 'songs' on it. Put the speaker in the open, sit on the edge of cover, and turn it on. A feather tied near the speaker that will catch the breeze and move will catch their attention. Camo or dull colored clothing that matches the area is important, and don't move!

I'd hunt the right of ways, and perhaps find a good overlook above the wide open area and glass for movement in the early morning or late evening. You could hunt in the woods, too, but use a shotgun with BB shot or #4 buck.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie earl
    replied
    I'll tell you what we do in nm. We look for hills, cliff faces, sloping mesas, anything that will put you higher than the dogs. I even called out of a tree stand once. Then we will sit and call for 15-30 minutes. What I would do if I were you is set up on the edge of the open meadow and call. The dogs will be sleeping in the thick brush during the day, but in early mornings you can catch them out and about. One more thing to try is ask the local game warden if he would allow you to call for coyotes with a spot light. That's a blast! Go out into the middle of the open field with a spot light and call. My dad and I used to do this on Indian reservations when they would let us. Good luck! Hope you get a few this season!

Leave a comment:

• santa
    replied
    Coyotes in my area are extremely smart, have an extremely good sense of smell, very good long range vision both in daylight and in the dark, have few natural predators other than mankind, and are very cautious along with being curious. They like to get up on something high to be able to see all their surroundings. Round hay bales in a field, old stumps, and mounds of dirt are all good places for them to get up on to give them a chance to observe their surroundings.

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    coyotes are not stupid. dont expect to sit down and call one into the open because chances are it wont happen, gotta get yourself into some thicker stuff. i dont mean so thick you cant see more then 10 ft, but you really gotta be in the woods your luck will improve.

Leave a comment:

• habben97
    replied
    sit in the corner of the open field where you can see where the pines meet the hardwoods. have the wind so you can see coyotes that try to circle downwind. they do that a lot. in the field I would use a fawn distress, or bird distress. since this is public land they probably hear a lot of rabbit distress.
    if you want to sit in the woods, try finding a small clearing where you are close to the pines. make sure you have at least 20 - 30 yard visibility. here, you should use a rabbit distress and call very sparingly. try a mouth call for this area. also, when in the thick stuff I would use a pump or semi auto shotgun loaded with buckshot. in the field I would use a rifle.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Set up along the edge of the open area and cover. Pay attention to the wind.
    Set out a decoy, and start calling.
    If nothing in 1/2 hour or more, quietly move to another spot 200+ yds away and call again.
    I usually see them when I am deer hunting so anything in deer cover area where you are should be good.

Leave a comment:

• I have been coyote hunting lately with not much luck. The most action I've gotten is this morning I saw a coyote like 800 yards

I have been coyote hunting lately with not much luck. The most action I've gotten is this morning I saw a coyote like 800 yards away on a pipeline. These suckers are very very hard to find! Where I'm hunting is a management land (public land) that has ALOT of very thick underbrush that's stuffed with rabbits. Then it goes into pines and then to hardwoods. Right in the middle of all this is a giant open area of hills with only grass on them that stretches for about 3 miles long and about a half mile wide. It's got mostly mixed pines and hardwoods around it. Then off in te woods is where the power lines and gas lines sit. Where do you guys think is a good spot to set up? As in like geography wise, would they like big hills or would they come from down in a holler? And where are they most likely going to be spending alot of their time? In the thick stuff or in the open fields? I need all the help I can get!

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad