Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Mendola
    replied
    I frequently take coyote with .22 caliber subsonic rounds -Suppressed- using Gemtech Ammo - keep your shooting under 40 yards and shot placement between the eye and the ear and it’s dead right there - haven’t had a runner yet

Leave a comment:

• Devin Alden
    replied
    I too have wondered about this. I live in MA and i have noticed a sharp drop of rabbits and deer in my area and i have a huge hunch its because of the number of coyotes around my area so I want to reduce their population density as much as possible. But here is my problem. Here in MA we have to use .22 LRs at nighttime only. iusually because of work can hunt at nightime. I think its a stupid law. For one the round seems to small unless you get it in the head. Which brings me to my second point we cant see at night, because the use of artificial light is prohibited so we cant get good shots off so i don't know what in the heck MA is thinking. we need a lot of new laws over here.

Leave a comment:

• ltk260
    replied
    It is possible but I would not reccommend it. It requires a very close shot placed in either the heart or head. I like a 22-250 for coyotes, woodchucks, and foxes.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    A brain shot is the only .22LR shot that will effectively kill a coyote. I've seen a coyote shot four times in the vital area of the chest and run over four miles, never to be found. Range was 10-25 yards. I have seldom seen a coyote killed mercifully with a .22 LR. As a result, I don't hunt with anyone using one for coyotes. I really don't like to torture and maim animals. I even respect the cunning coyote.

Leave a comment:

• bscrandall
    replied
    It will kill it, but you would have to be close and have either good accuracy or really good luck.

Leave a comment:

• habben97
    replied
    I once saw a coyote shot with a .22. it went down, got up, and ran. it was shot quartering away to the shooter, and was hit right behind the shoulder. I had to finish him with my .243.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I've killed several 'yotes with a .22LR.
    They were all targets of opportunity and within 40(+/-) yards.
    Keep shots within 35/40 yards and use good ammo like Rem "Golden" 22's.
    Like others stated, the LR is NOT a "prescribed" 'yote caliber, but will work at short range in a pinch.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    You can not get close enough to a coyote to effectively use a .22lr.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    In other words, just because you can doesn't mean you should!

Leave a comment:

• smallgamehunter25
    replied
    Although not my first choice, it certainly can be done. I'm not sure why you ask this question, but if the case is that a .22 LR is the only rifle you possess you may want to reconsider your options. If you have a shotgun you can do a number on coyotes with #4 buckshot (I have no experience with all the new "varmint type" loads). Like Ed said, keep it close, and only take a shot when you have complete confidence. Really though, for regular coyote hunting a centerfire caliber would be best.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    Unless you are VERY close and can accurately place a bullet in the heart-lung area, I wouldn't recommend a 22LR for coyotes. It will do it, but not consistently. Coyotes cling tenaciously to life and will run quite a distance when merely wounded. They will recover or they will die elsewhere. A .22 Magnum would be a better choice but a centerfire .22 like the .22 Hornet, the .222, the .223, and certainly the .22-250 are much better options.

Leave a comment:

• WisconsinWhitetail
    started a topic Can I use a .22 LR for coyote hunting?

Can I use a .22 LR for coyote hunting?

Can I use a .22 LR for coyote hunting?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad