Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you are hunting on public land next to private land clearly marked as no trespassing, do you give a buffer or do you hunt to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you are hunting on public land next to private land clearly marked as no trespassing, do you give a buffer or do you hunt to

If you are hunting on public land next to private land clearly marked as no trespassing, do you give a buffer or do you hunt to the edge and hope no game falls over the property line? Would you retrieve any game that might go over the line without permission?

I would not risk trespassing on posted private property.

Comment

In a lot of states its legal to retrieve game on another property as long as you shot it on your side of the fence.

Comment

In N.Y., Ohio and Michigan you can not go on private property to retrieve an animal without, in some cases, written permission.
        Very expensive fine if you are arrested for trespassing.

Comment

In WV you cannot go on private property without written permission under any circumstances.

Comment

Check your local laws. But perhaps you can locate the owner before you hunt, and ask written permission to retrieve a deer that might run onto and die on the property. If not, stay off.

Your going to have to know the deer's travels and hunt appropriately. A well placed shoulder shot with a big game caliber should drop a deer in it's tracks or very close. You'll lose meat on that side, but it won't run far.

Comment

In Indiana and every where for that matter You CANNOT and SHOULD NOT go onto private property without permission even to retreive a downed animal.

Comment

people like Ncarl cause a lot of grief with their unthinking comments. In Wi trespass can cost you money. In Montana it WILL cost you a LOT of money.

Comment

I like to have a little buffer. And I would ask permission to retrieve a deer.

Comment

If I hunt larger game I would leave a buffer, but in the case of bird hunting I would hunt Right up to the line. In Kansas it's illegal not to exhaust all means to retrieve a downed animal on private property or not. It would be a good idea to get permission to retrieve a deer but a bird falling a few feet behind a sign isn't going to keep me from retrieving what is lawfully mine.

Comment

te question ive always had was ifyou do happen to shoot something like a deer and it crosses a line what happens if you go to ask permission and they deny it?

Comment

You are SOL in our state. The landowner doesn't have to let you get it. I have found that if as an Officer I talked to the landowner it would be a very rare occasion with very unsual circumstances for the landowner not to let a hunter retrieve the game, but he doesn't have to if he doesn't want to.

Comment

In IA you can enter a private property (even if posted) to retrieve a downed game animal. The only stipulation is you must be un-armed.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad