Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey trappers: I am planning to start running trap lines for fox, coon, and mink this fall. What type and size of traps would b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey trappers: I am planning to start running trap lines for fox, coon, and mink this fall. What type and size of traps would b

Hey trappers: I am planning to start running trap lines for fox, coon, and mink this fall. What type and size of traps would be best?

For fox and coons a #1.75 or #2 coil spring will work great. I like Victor 4 coiled traps myself because they snap faster and hold better. Duke and Bridger traps are also good. You can also use a Duke dog proof trap for raccoons, or a #220 body grip trap, "conibear".
    Mink can be taken with either a #110 or #120 body grip, or #1 or #1.5 coil spring.

I like Victor traps but Duke are more economical.

Which trap you use depends on how your going after your quarry. For more info go to www.fntpost.com they have plenty of resources on trapping such as books, scents, and great prices on traps. hope this helped.

Comment

From your question, you appear to lack some basic knowledge as to how to go about trapping. Please do us trappers a favor and get some training. Contact your local DNR warden or wildlife manager - they should be able to put you in touch with some trappers who provide training courses (I have attended/assisted with several excellent courses) and many trappers are happy to mentor you even after the training course.

Comment

thanks DD24

Comment

conibear 220 for coons, #1 1/2 Duke Coil Spring Trap for fox and mink. Get some help because foxes are very sensitive to human scent

Comment

Hey Deer30, Do trappers worry about scent? Another post said it is OK to hunt with the following smells.

1. Wearing Brute cologne.
            2. Smoking cigars and cigarettes at your trap set.
            3. Urinating near your traps.
            4, chewing tobacco with a couple tobacco spits at the trap site.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad