Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am considering getting a .22 air rifle for squirrels and rabbits, but I'd rather not spend more than $400. Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am considering getting a .22 air rifle for squirrels and rabbits, but I'd rather not spend more than $400. Any suggestions?

I am considering getting a .22 air rifle for squirrels and rabbits, but I'd rather not spend more than $400. Any suggestions?

Why not get a .22 rifle, in my opinion a .22 rifle is a lot better than a .22 air rifle.Any way a good air rifle under 400 dollars is the Crossman trail NP at 300 dollars. Or you can get the 760 pumpmaster,its very powerful,very accurate and light butt... it's mostly made out of plastic even though it's pretty durable(I own one).For rabbits I would recommend using shotgun but if you can't use one I guess you could use the air gun.

Good luck and safe hunting

Comment

you will get a ton of people telling you to get a .22 long rifle. if you think the airgun is what you want I would go with the Benjamin discovery. you can get both the gun and the air pump for 400 dollars.
      if you end up changing your mind about the airgun the savage mark 2 .22 rifle is a good one.
      also I have to disagree with the above post, the 760 pump master is not very durable or powerful enough to hunt squirrels.
      go to pyramydair.com and search for the benjamin discovery.

Comment

Gamo Big Cat .22. I love mine. Its accurate and has pretty good velocity. Its a break barrel so it only holds 1 round at a time, but there is nothing to refill and you can put a follow up shot down range decently quick with practice.

Comment

Benjamin NPS they have great feeling all weather thumbhole stocks and are extremely accurate.

Comment

A .22 caliber air rifle is ideal for squirrels but unfortunately they are so expensive. To me, the main idea of getting an air rifle is to spend only a few bucks for squirrel hunting ability. Nowadays, you might as well get a .22LR. It may even cost less than an air rifle.

The best bet for a less expensive air rifle might be to look for a used one. I got my $300 RWS air rifle at a garage sale for $15 and I don't think it had ever been shot. I had a .22 caliber Sheridan when I was a kid and it was perfect. It was pretty much the same model as the current Benjamin Sheridan that sells for around $200. Good luck!

Comment

I own a 760 from walmart and ive taken down many squirrels with it the only problem is it is just a little short. but for more accuracy and the feel and look of a real rifle id go with a daisy powerline 880 has rifled barrel easy pumping and has 200 more fps. with the new gamo hunting pellets they have a hollow point for hitting hard and a blue plastic point in the middle for piercing

Comment

The Benjamin trail Np is good but it is really heavy. If you are going to be hunting a lot of property I would recoment something like the gamo big cat .22. If not the other.

Comment

the 760 sucks. I speak from experience. Don't get that. The Np is a great rifle too.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad