Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone noticed a decline in the eastern groundhog (woodchuck) population in their area? When I was a kid it was nothing to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone noticed a decline in the eastern groundhog (woodchuck) population in their area? When I was a kid it was nothing to

Has anyone noticed a decline in the eastern groundhog (woodchuck) population in their area? When I was a kid it was nothing to take 30-40 a summer, now we hardly see them. I know, there are those who will say we whipped them out, but as prolific as they are I somewhat doubt that. I think a more reasonable answer lies with the fact that we now have more coyotes and bald eagles than ever before, both of which prey on the groundhogs. I haven't had one in the cross hairs of my Swift in a long, long time, obviously I need to learn how to hunt coyotes now. Your thoughts or observations? Good hunting.

in my area there are not as many pastures and stuff for them to live in. it is all crop fields and similar areas. they are losing their habitat like the pheasants and rabbits.

Comment

007, it sounds to me like you're not going to be doing the farmers any favors if you reduce the coyote population. They have things in the balance that is best for them.

Woodchucks arrive up here within the last fifteen years. Apparently they came in on the freight trains and unloaded in the rail yards in town. They have only recently invaded the clay belt dairy farming area west of town. The farmers are begging me to get out there and shoot some of the varmints. But I'd rather be fishing this time of year. Other recent arrivals include raccoons (which emigrated naturally from south of the border) and the big black "Toronto squirrels". The latter were probably introduced by some ninnie who caught some down south, tried in vain to make them pets, and then tossed them out. They have completely displaced the indigenous squirrels in town.

Comment

Groundhogs are still prolific in my area with coyote populations that are busting at the seams. We gave up rabbit hunting last year because from what we see as the problem, coyotes. What I have noticed is that many of the groundhogs are utilizing roadway ditches and the edges of the city maybe from the problems posed by coyotes or other things but there are many around none the less.

Comment

When I live in New York, the Delancey-Delhi-Oneonta area was productive for me for ground hogs, as were private properties in Honesdale & Hawley, PA, but I relocated in early 1972 and have no recent insights into that area. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we seem to have a feast or famine situation for varminting and there are cycles that seem to differ with season and area, but ranchers tell me not to drop any coyotes because they're keeping the varmint population in check.

Comment

They do not have the habitat they once did, however in areas where habitat is favorable, there are plenty of them.

Comment

Maybe less fence rows and clean farming practices that utilize most land. Where I used to hunt is now developed.

Comment

I've noticed the same thing as Bioguy. Loss of habitat I think has more to do with the decline than predators.

Comment

Rabbits, especially jacks, and 'yotes run in cycles in this area.
                  The 'yotes get thick, the rabbits dwindle. The rabbits get thin, the 'yotes have smaller litters. So it's a constant see-saw about every 5 years, plus or minus.
                  I'm seeing more and more jack rabbits which means the 'yotes are thinning.

Comment

I'm with Bubba- our rabbit population revolves around our yote numbers and the same can be said in reverse. I've never done any groundhog hunting, so can't give any input there, though would love to some day.

Comment

007, all your groundhogs migrated or took a bus to New Jersey. They are like rabbits here and they love living underneath storage sheds in the neighborhood backyards.

Comment

About the same where i am except for the few groundhogs i have sent to the big den in the sky. Coyotes have increased some and take a toll on the deer.

Comment

I'm not sure habitat is really an issue because the same hayfields I used to snipe them in are the same today as they were then. Agreed to a point on leaving the coyotes alone but my sheep farming pals would strongly disagree with that. I know I do miss walking the hayfields on a hot summer evening with a favorite firearm.

Comment

I can't be sure on the population numbers in my area but the attitude of most hunters is shoot on sight to save farmers some distress and i can't blame them. But with rising pressers on all sides they may just start changing habitats to avoid being see and shot.

Comment

Here in central PA we have plenty of them. They are all over my pasture, the side of the road, along streams, ...everwhere

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                I know how you feel. There's no way I'b bet my life on a conceal carry without ever firing it. Just this morning, PigHuntress told me she'd been practicing...
                                Today, 06:27 PM
                              • Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                                08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                              • Reply to Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
                                by Solitario Lupo
                                Jimbo I dont really go for eyes on Erie but that is impressive almost 80 degrees on top and in that depths wonder how cold it gets in that thermocline....
                                Today, 06:16 PM
                              • Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                We are getting a nice slow soaker of a rain for most of Sat afternoon. Reminds me when we fished from my Fathers cruiser. It was called an express cruiser...
                                08-01-2020, 05:28 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                I do feel sorry for those rookie cops on the scene who had their backs to the brutality being committed by their senior officer.
                                Today, 06:00 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X